Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
stuartmacgreen
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Stuart Green

Re: vSphere hosts updates - UUID error

Post by stuartmacgreen » 1 person likes this post

Support fixed this. Resolution was to update some uuid's in the VeeamBackup database.
Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Stuart, thanks for taking the time to update the thread!
noelesp
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Noel E

Post by noelesp »

Ran into same issue after upgrading from 4.1 to 5.1

I revoked the license and re-ran the jobs successfully.

Thanks,

Noel
martynuk
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Martin Etheridge

Post by martynuk »

Had the same issue with Veeam 7 after replacing a host with new hardware but same IP, etc. Revoking the licence for the old host and then re-running the backup jobs fixed it for us too. Many thanks to all who contributed to the solution on this thread.
aeccles
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Post by aeccles »

Just ran into the same issue after updating a few esxi hosts. I'm surprised this hasn't been fixed since it's been happening for almost 3 years now.
It may not seem like a big deal because the resolution is simple. Missing a backup window can cause a significant amount of work.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I might be wrong, but automatically re-assigning host license can be very dangerous. For example, imagine that you add/remove or just have a standby host in your VI, and it will not be a desired behavior to revoke the license key from an existing production host and assign it to that new, stand-by one, right?

As you know all hosts are tracked by their UUID and when it changes, host is treated as a new one. I don't think you would be happy to see failed jobs/missed backup windows because of the revoked license key.

Anyway, I understand you concern and also do not get why host ID gets changed during the update procedures...

Hope this makes sense.
mwant
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: m want

Post by mwant »

I am getting this error when I try to restore a VM hard disk. I am able to restore files OK.

I have tried the fix but the error stills persists (I have restarted services after the fix).

I have also tried deleting jobs, recreating and rerunning but the error is still occurring on the new backups.

Any ideas please?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If the solution above didn't help, then I guess you need to contact our technical team to review the records in the configuration database.
keith.duvall
Lurker
Full Name: Keith Duvall

Post by keith.duvall » 1 person likes this post

We performed VUM updates to bump our hosts up to ESXi 5.5. This affected only one of our hosts. The license revoke fix above worked perfectly. No need to create a blank backup, just revoke the license of the affected host, then kick off the job. Thanks everyone.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, Keith, thanks for coming and confirming the reliability of "revoking" approach.
EddyChong
Enthusiast
Full Name: Eddy Chong

Post by EddyChong »

Just a quick sharing. Upgraded my customer's host from ESX 4.1 U3 to ESXi5.5 U1 last week, same uuid error was reported and revoking the license works perfectly.

Process to find out the solutions:
1) Rescan the vCenter from Backup Infrastructure. (Does not work)
2) Remove VM from job and re-add again. (Does not work)
3) Revoke license by following this thread, works like a charm. (I did rescan also just in case)
Craigb
Influencer
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Craig Braithwaite

Post by Craigb » 1 person likes this post

This is still true for 5.0 to 5.5.1 ESXi Upgrades. Once you find this thread you will be fine, the solution still works.
My notes..

20140716th
Due to Upgrade of ESXi hosts from 5.0 to 5.5.1, Veeam lost its relationships to hosts.

Task failed Error: Host with uuid '34333336-3430-5541-4431-32393033544b' was not found
(additional complaints about licencing seem spurious so may go away when the hosts issue is corrected).

So ..

Tried re-adding the guest vm in a job.. fails
Tried rescanning the backup infrastructure .. the rescan worked but the backups fail with same errors.
which seems to be the first two things 'everybody else' tried.
http://forums.veeam.com/vmware-vsphere- ... 45-15.html
The suggestion is to revoke the licencing of the hosts, (top-left dropdown, help, licencing, button:'licenced hosts', then rescan, and re-try a failed job.
* Manual retry of failed job, succeeds.
* Automatic retry (lucky coincidence with timing), succeeds.
* Standard run of next job with start time after time licences were revoked, succeeds.

Watching the licencing, each host is re-licenced as it is referenced in a backup job (depending on where VMs are currently residing)

Veeam is the best recovery solution I've ever had, I admit to skipping a heartbeat when the backup showed red but it's all good again now.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Thanks Craig, but can you also let us know what is your v7 patch level?
malibu.vf
Novice
Full Name: Volker Frank

Post by malibu.vf »

Hi Folks,

we are Working with HyperV Edition and had the same error after Changeing Mainboard in one Server.
This workaround did sove our problem!

regards

Volker
sabicao
Influencer
Full Name: Fernando Gomes

Post by sabicao »

Gostev wrote:Thanks Craig, but can you also let us know what is your v7 patch level?
Gostev, I'm running v7 with latest patch. Yesterday I updated one of my hosts from 5.1 to 5.5. After that, all jobs failed. I did the "revoke license" thing and jobs run again, but hot-add fails for ALL the VMs in the job. Performance is severely affected, of course.

Any clue?

Cheers,

Fernando
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Fernando. No idea, but generally speaking, I don't recall any outstanding issues around running fully patched v7 against vSphere 5.5, so it must be some environment-specific problem. So please, open a support case to let one of our support engineers investigate your environment more closely. Thanks!