Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
aaron@ARB
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: ARBCorporationPtyLtd

WAN Acceleration on 100mbit link for Replication jobs?

Post by aaron@ARB »

Hi all,

I am in the process of deploying a new DR site over a 100mbit internet link (the IPSEC vpn seems to be able to traverse about 7mb/sec over the SRX240 + SRX210) and as the initial copies are done as a test (I will seed replicas when i do it for real) I was wondering what others are doing in terms of WAN acceleration. Our veeam partner said that over a 100mbit link the build in WAN acceleration would not be of much use as the overhead on large links makes it not worthwhile.

Is anyone else using other sorts of acceleration for veam replicas? I have used silverpeak virtual appliances before and they have been very good when couples with vSphere replication (i have sometimes been able to get 90+% or so reduction in data over some links) but I am not sure with Veeam replication jobs.

Any previous experience that people have had in this space would be appreciated.

cheers,
Aaron
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: WAN Acceleration on 100mbit link for Replication jobs?

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Regarding usage of WAN accelerator on 100Mb links - generally speaking they are correct, on links over 50Mb/s WAN won't be fully utilized. However I'm not sure that I got the part about "overhead on large links" right, so if you could provide some clarification of what exactly they meant that would be great.

Thanks
aaron@ARB
Expert

Post by aaron@ARB »

I think we are talking about the same thing... I was told that on links over about 50mb the overhead in performing the 'acceleration' (as in the compression or just the calculations in general) cause the link to not fully utilise and thus make it not so much inefficient but not really needed.

I had silverpeak WAN accelerators in the past, but i think for one that will handle something along the lines to 100mb, its going to be rather expensive to say the least.

Cheers,
Aaron
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Hi Aaron,

the question is really what you want to achive. The WAN accelerators are built for slow WAN links below 100Mbps as the time needed for the WAN acceleration overhead is less than it would take to transport the native (still compressed .. incremental forever) workload over the WAN link. There are as well customers that use the WAN Accelerators with faster WAN links as they want to save bandwidth for other services.

Overall you can split the workload accross multiple Veeam WAN accelerator pairs to saturate the 100Mbps link. This depends on the number of jobs and VMs you have.

Thanks
Andy
bdufour
Expert
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: blake dufour

Post by bdufour »

You could get a layer 2, point to point, private vpn from your ISP, instead of an Internet circuit. Guaranteed bandwidth, SLAs, ect
aaron@ARB
Expert

Post by aaron@ARB »

bdufour wrote:You could get a layer 2, point to point, private vpn from your ISP, instead of an Internet circuit. Guaranteed bandwidth, SLAs, ect
That is the next idea yes, our provider (Australias 'flag carrier' comms company) is quoting that as the moment. The issue is just the sheer amount of data that needs to be sent. I have used Silverpeak in the past but for something around the size of the link that we have, would cost an absolute fortune.
aaron@ARB
Expert

Post by aaron@ARB »

Andreas Neufert wrote:Hi Aaron,

the question is really what you want to achive. The WAN accelerators are built for slow WAN links below 100Mbps as the time needed for the WAN acceleration overhead is less than it would take to transport the native (still compressed .. incremental forever) workload over the WAN link. There are as well customers that use the WAN Accelerators with faster WAN links as they want to save bandwidth for other services.

Overall you can split the workload accross multiple Veeam WAN accelerator pairs to saturate the 100Mbps link. This depends on the number of jobs and VMs you have.

Thanks
Andy
Hi Andy,

What I am trying to achieve is to get the best throughput based off the underlying physical bandwidth. In the past I have had a 4mb silverpeak appliance and when using vSphere Replication over that link, the underlying 4mbit bandwidth was able to achieve upward of 20/40 sometimes 60mbit/sec throughput based off the black magic that are wan accelerators. This was achieved with same traffic profiles that veeam is using. So I was asking about the WAN accelerators to see if they would be of any use on a link that as I write this is transferring 70 mbit/sec native, would a WAN accelerator speed that up in the same sort of factors that I experienced previously.

Cheers,
Aaron
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

HI Aaron,

OK I understand that you try to get the best throughput out of the wan connection.
I would install 2 WAN accelerators on each site, and split them accross your VM Replication or Backup Copy Jobs.
You can find some sizing information here:
https://bp.veeam.expert/architecture-ov ... celeration

You can play with the numbers here to see what you could achive under ideal circumstances:
http://rps.dewin.me/bandwidth/

Example no WAN Acceleration:
8 hours
20TB
2x Data Reductio
Change Rate 3%
=> 87,38Mbps

Example with WAN Acceleration:
8 hours
20TB
4x Data reduction (conservative WAN Acceleration
3% changes