Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jamerson
Veteran
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Julien

WAN Accelerator

Post by jamerson »

Dear all,
on my Lab on the Same Data Center, was wondering if i still can use WAN Accelerator? i've read alot of Documenten about this, but from my understanding that the WAN is just over the WAN to offsite backup,
can i still use it on the Virtual Infrastructuur? create one Server to use it as WAN resources?

thank you
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: WAN Accelerator

Post by veremin »

You can’t use just single WAN accelerator as it always has to be a pair of.

It’s possible to use pair of WAN accelerators locally or within onsite infrastructure as long as source and target Accelerator roles are assigned to different machines. However, what is the logic behind this decision? As it’s evident from its name WAN accelerator is specifically designed for WAN connections not LAN ones.

Thanks.
jamerson
Veteran

Post by jamerson »

v.Eremin wrote:You can’t use just single WAN accelerator as it always has to be a pair of.

It’s possible to use pair of WAN accelerators locally or within onsite infrastructure as long as source and target Accelerator roles are assigned to different machines. However, what is the logic behind this decision? As it’s evident from its name WAN accelerator is specifically designed for WAN connections not LAN ones.

Thanks.
Dear Eremin,
the reason is i need to test the software,
i've asked for VPN connection to do some tests tonight over VPN to the HQ !
thank you for your answer.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Yep, VPN should work without any issues, and many of our customers use it successfully in case of backup copy job: be it direct or WAN accelerated one.

Anyway, kindly, keep us updated about the results you get. Thanks.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Julien, in my lab I use backup copy + wan accelerator, just to test it like you would.
There is no problem at all in such a setup, indeed you need two accelerators, and also since the lab is running over 1 gbps links usually wan acceleration would not show huge benefits. So I limited the connection between the two WAN accelerators to 10 mbps, in order to create real conditions.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
jamerson
Veteran

Post by jamerson »

dellock6 wrote:Julien, in my lab I use backup copy + wan accelerator, just to test it like you would.
There is no problem at all in such a setup, indeed you need two accelerators, and also since the lab is running over 1 gbps links usually wan acceleration would not show huge benefits. So I limited the connection between the two WAN accelerators to 10 mbps, in order to create real conditions.

Luca.
thank you so much for the answer,
I've read the documenten and it indd need two WAN servers from both sides,
I will start with the testing next week when my Tunnel is up!