Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
marius roma
Veteran
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Mario

Warning message about free disk space

Post by marius roma »

I get lots of warning messages reporting problems like:
Production datastore MyDatastore is getting low on free space (299,3 GB left), and may run out of free disk space completely due to open snapshots.
I do know that there is a general free disk space problem but at the moment I cannot solve it.
Even if the amount of free space is limited I know that my infrastructure can go on using such datastore.
In order to get really meaningful messages can I set the minimum free disk space to a lower value (let's say, 100 GB) so that I get a warning only if the free disk space is less that 100 GB?
Regards
Marius
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Warning message about free disk space

Post by veremin »

You can lower datastore free space threshold to whatever value you want to, but be cautious while doing so. Thanks.
marieelieg
Expert
Liked: 8 times

[MERGED] Backup job "datastore free space" warning

Post by marieelieg »

Hello dears,

I have Veeam installed that backs up my VMware environment. Lately, whenever I run a backup the below warning generates (but the backup is successful):
Production datastore <datastore name> is getting low on free space (x GB left), and may run out of free disk space completely due to open snapshots.
I checked, using Veeam ONE, that there are NOT any snapshots on this particular datastore.

I know that we can define thresholds in Veeam (Tools > General Options > Notifications > Production datastores > Warn me when free disk space is below: x%).

My question is: If I decrease the value of said threshold, will the warnings stop? Because this warning specifically says "due to open snapshots". What I mean is, is this a general warning message that only generates when free space of the datastore becomes lower than x% and might not be "due to open snapshots"?

Thank you in advance! :D
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Backup job "datastore free space" warning

Post by DGrinev » 1 person likes this post

Hi,
marieelieg wrote:If I decrease the value of said threshold, will the warnings stop?
Yes.
marieelieg wrote:What I mean is, is this a general warning message that only generates when free space of the datastore becomes lower than x%
That's correct.

I wouldn't recommend you to lower this parameter too low. Thanks!
marieelieg
Expert
Liked: 8 times

Re: Warning message about free disk space

Post by marieelieg »

Thanks DGrinev!