Warnings when backing up Linux VMs

VMware specific discussions

Re: Warnings when backing up Linux VMs

Veeam Logoby pshute » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:23 am

Still not working. I can certainly ssh to the command prompt on this machine as this user. However once logged in, if I type visudo, it says "Permission denied", and if I type sudo visudo, it prompts for the password. Is that an indication that I still don't have things set up properly?
pshute
Expert

Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Peter Shute

Veeam Logoby sg_sc » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:14 pm

Yes!
sg_sc
Enthusiast

Full Name: sg_sc

Veeam Logoby pshute » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:30 pm

That's good because it means there's a reason why it's not working. But it's bad because I thought I'd followed the instructions to set that account up, so I don't know how to fix it. Can anyone suggest a way to diagnose where I've gone wrong?
pshute
Expert

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:45 am

May be it's time you open a ticket with our support team and let our engineer assist you with troubleshooting process.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1002 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby pshute » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:39 pm

v.Eremin wrote:May be it's time you open a ticket with our support team and let our engineer assist you with troubleshooting process.

OK, I'll do that. I assumed it was purely a Linux competence problem, and not their responsibility.
pshute
Expert

Veeam Logoby pshute » Fri May 26, 2017 3:35 am

I called tech support today, and was told I'm wasting my time doing indexing anyway. He said indexing is only useful if you're using Enterprise Manager. I don't believe we have Enterprise Manager. We only have one backup server.

It would be nice to know why I couldn't get it it to work with the user account I created, but I'm going to abandon it and just untick the option.

The option says:
"Creates catalog of guest files to enable browsing, searching and 1-click restores of individual files.
Indexing is optional, and is not required to perform instant file level recoveries."

Somewhere along the line I read that and made the assumption that I needed it. Probably because I was new to VBR, and didn't know what an "instant file level recovery" or a "1-click restore" was. I assumed I would need to browse and click to restore individual files, so therefore I would need a catalog. I ticked it, set the credentials for a Windows machine, did a test backup, then successfully tested restoring one file, so assumed I'd done the right thing. Then later I added Linux machines to the backup, and started seeing errors about indexing. When I tried to test FLR on a Linux backup, it asked awkward questions about nodes, etc, so I assumed it was falling back to some other method of accessing the file system.

Can I suggest that this be reworded to make this all clearer? Perhaps mention Enterprise Manager in the option description.

Finally, do I now have catalogs on my Windows servers taking up space unnecessarily? If so, what can I do about them?
pshute
Expert

Veeam Logoby pshute » Sun May 28, 2017 11:53 pm

pshute wrote:Finally, do I now have catalogs on my Windows servers taking up space unnecessarily? If so, what can I do about them?

On Friday when I posted that, I had about 800MB of files in C:\VBRCatalog\Index\Machines. Today there's only 300MB, and most of the machine folders disappeared some time late Sunday. So it looks like VBR does clean up the catalogs itself, but not immediately. Those that are left are very old, so I think they're from old test jobs that still have the indexing option enabled.
pshute
Expert

Veeam Logoby pshute » Sun May 28, 2017 11:59 pm

pshute wrote:Those that are left are very old, so I think they're from old test jobs that still have the indexing option enabled.

I can't find matching jobs for these catalog files, so I think they may be orphaned. Only about 300MB on a server with 130Gb free, so not a problem at this stage.
pshute
Expert

Veeam Logoby sg_sc » Mon May 29, 2017 6:14 pm

For a Linux FLR, Veeam B&R will ask you some questions the first time. Veeam B&R will ask you were it can deploy a small VM called a Linux FLR helper VM or something like that. This VM will boot up in under a minute, will attach the backup and read its filesystem, after which you will get the familiar FLR restore window. I think this is because Windows can't read the Linux filesystem inside the backup files.
sg_sc
Enthusiast

Full Name: sg_sc

Previous

Return to VMware vSphere