Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pparks1
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Patrick Parks

Wasn't able to parse UUID

Post by pparks1 »

So, I was doing some testing of moving one of my lab ESXi boxes from version 4.0 to version 5.1 of ESXi. I had set up a Windows 8 client on ESXi 5.1 in my lab while testing, and wanted to keep this when I reinstalled on my actual lab box. So, I decided to use Veeam Backup 6.5 which we are licensed for to run this backup. It backed up the host fine, but gave me a "Warning" saying "Wasn't able to parse UUID".

So, then I booted up my ESXi 4.0 box and was going to backup the 3 VM's that I would like to keep from that box. I backed up those 3 VM's and all 3 of them (2 Windows, and 1 Linux host), also gave the same Warning "Wasn't able to parse UUID"

Anybody know what this actually means or what problems it could cause? I'm not too concerned because it's just a couple of lab machines and my backups are simply being used as an easy way to consolidate multiple VM's from different physical ESXi boxes onto the same host and once restored, these backups will be simply deleted. But in case I saw this in production I would want to know what was going on.

Edit: I suspect the problem might be because my lab box is standalone-without any vcenter server managing it.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6710 times

Re: Wasn't able to parse UUID

Post by Gostev »

pparks1 wrote:I suspect the problem might be because my lab box is standalone-without any vcenter server managing it.
This should not cause any problems. Maybe you indeed have some object with corrupted UID, just as error says? Please open a support case and our engineers will investigate the debug logs for you to find the root cause.