Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Fiskepudding
Expert
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Espen Dykesteen

What VMware licence to choose

Post by Fiskepudding »

Hello

We are not yet sure what VMware licence to go for, exept not the free version :)
But we are leaning towards VMware, and Veeam combo.

I wonder if there are any Veeam functions that wil not work if we choose a stripped down version (Standard, or even an essential kit) of VMware?

Do you for example need VMware's "vShielded Zones" for something in Veeam, like to run "SureBackup" in an isolated environment / Virtual Lab?
Or to do a "Instant VM Recovery"?
Or anyting else for that matter.

Thanx for anny help
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: What VMware licence to choose

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Espen,

It doesn't matter which VMware license you choose. The minimum license required is vSphere Essentials. If you do not need Storage vMotion capabilities and you do not have more than 3 hosts, I would also recommend to go with vSphere Essentials kit.

Thank you.
Fiskepudding
Expert

Post by Fiskepudding »

Ok, thanx.

VMware licensing can be a ****...
This is kinda off topic, since it regards VMware license.
But if i have 6 hosts, I am alowd to have 2 essential kits?

And furter I se that Veeam also offer essentail kits. I gues Veeam essential then only works on VMware essential licenses?

But does that mean that VMware enterprise/standard does NOT work with Veeam esential licenses. I would like to have this as flexible as I can.
I might end up having a mix of VMware essentials and VMware standard. What Veeam license shold i choose when I want to mangae everyting from 1 concole?
http://www.veeam.com/smb-vmware-managem ... nsing.html

This artice says that you can mix VMware essential pluss and essentials "standard" with any version of Veeam ESSENTIAL.

It does not mention mixing veeam essential kits with stand or better VMware kits. So I gues it is a no GO.

But do Veeam Enterpsie work with any VMware essential kits?
http://www.veeam.com/vmware-esx-backup/buyit.html
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Fiskepudding wrote:But if i have 6 hosts, I am alowd to have 2 essential kits?
As far as I know you cannot have 2 Essentials kits on the same site, but you'd better double check that with VMware sales rep.
Fiskepudding wrote:And furter I se that Veeam also offer essentail kits. I gues Veeam essential then only works on VMware essential licenses?
This was a previous requirement. Effective today, we no longer require VMware Essentials to be present to be able to use Veeam Essentials, however Veeam Essentials bundle is still limited to 6 sockets max. Be aware that we are licensing physical sockets not hosts.
Fiskepudding wrote:But does that mean that VMware enterprise/standard does NOT work with Veeam esential licenses.
No it doesn't mean that, see my explanation above.
Fiskepudding wrote:What Veeam license shold i choose when I want to mangae everyting from 1 concole?
Assuming that you have only 6 single socket hosts, you can use any Veeam license, however if you're planning to grow in the number of hosts, I would recommend using Management Suite offering.
Fiskepudding wrote:But do Veeam Enterpsie work with any VMware essential kits?
Yes, you can use any Veeam license to manage VMware Essentials deployment.

P.S. if you still have any questions, please contact our local sales rep to get more details.
Fiskepudding
Expert

Post by Fiskepudding »

Thanx for clearing this up.
rawtaz
Expert
Liked: 15 times

Post by rawtaz »

I must ask for further clarification on this. As I understand it, in order to run Veeam B&R 6 one needs at least a VMware vSphere Essentials Kit. For example, Vitaliy said in a previous reply to this thread that "The minimum license required is vSphere Essentials. If you do not need Storage vMotion capabilities and you do not have more than 3 hosts, I would also recommend to go with vSphere Essentials kit."

However, if you do have VMware vSphere 5 Essentials Kit, can you then utilize both HotAdd and CBT with Veeam B&R 6?

After seeing figure 3 on page 8 in the vSphere Pricing whitepaper at http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vsphere_pricing.pdf I wonder, because in the "Essentials" column there is no checkbox for the "HotAdd" row. The same goes for http://www.vmware.com/products/datacent ... -kits.html.

Can someone please clarify what features, if any, in Veeam Backup & Replication 6, are not available when/if you use a VMware Essentials Kit license? Thanks.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

hi,
this is a common mistake:
-the HotAdd VMware talks about is the ability to "hot add" cpus and memory to a running VM, and yes is supported from the Advanced license
- Veeam uses the vStorage API Hot Add function, that allows to snapshot a disk of a running VM, let it run with a snapshot, and mount the same disk in another machine, that is the Veeam Backup Proxy (when running in a virtual machine). SCSI Hot Add is enabled in any paid VMware license, only free version are excluded.

For sure, using the same name for two features is not an help...

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Actually, no correlation with the vSphere license type.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

rawtaz wrote:However, if you do have VMware vSphere 5 Essentials Kit, can you then utilize both HotAdd and CBT with Veeam B&R 6?
Yes! I would say you simply have to utilize these capabilities no matter what VMware license you have :D
rawtaz
Expert
Liked: 15 times

Post by rawtaz »

This is great news. Can't tell you how relieved I was when getting this confirmed :-)
geoffwoz
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Geoff Woz

Confusion on Vmware licensing requirements for B&R

Post by geoffwoz »

[merged]

Hi,

Looking through the product documentation and a variety of posts I come to the conclusion that Veeam B&R requires VSphere Essentials Kit to be installed on our ESXi boxes to support backup.

I believe that this is due to the requirement on use of the VStorage APIs.

The problem is, when I look at the VMWare website, it looks to be that Vsphere Essentials doesn't seem to include VStorage APIs, but that instead you need VSphere Essentials Plus.

Could someone please confirm for me that VSphere essentials is all that is required to use Veeam B&R for live backup of VMs running on ESXi boxes ?

THanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

The minimum license required is vSphere Essentials, as it does support vStorage API for data protection. Looks like you've confused vStrorage API with vSphere Data Recovery which is only present in Essentials Plus offering.
latchyman66
Lurker
Full Name: Bo Lynch

VMware licensing requirements for hotadd

Post by latchyman66 »

[merged]

Hello Team,

Can someone please tell me what level of licensing is required to perform a scsi hotadd backup or replication?

Is essentials plus or standard high enough licensing?

Thanks,

Bo
BlueMan
Influencer

Using Veeam Essentials Enterprise with VMware Essentials

Post by BlueMan »

[merged]

If I used Veeam Essentials Enterprise with VMware vSphere 5 Essentials, would I lose any functionality in Veeam?

Or do you have to use Veeam Essentials Enterprise with VMware vSphere Essentials Plus to get full functionality?

Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

1. No, you wouldn't.
2. No, you do not need to do that.

Veeam Essentials does not require VMware Essentials license keys any more.
BlueMan
Influencer

Post by BlueMan »

OK, thanks for clearing that up.
johndoe123123
Influencer

Post by johndoe123123 »

Vitaliy S. wrote:1. No, you wouldn't.
2. No, you do not need to do that.

Veeam Essentials does not require VMware Essentials license keys any more.
Can you confirm this is still the case?

I have someone who is reporting the following problem:

VMware hosts with VMware Enterprise. I bought Veeam 6.5 Essentials for 3 hosts. It works fine. Upgraded to 7 – get license error. Works fine on Veeam 6.5
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, nothing has changed regarding that. You just need to get a new license for Veeam B&R v7, as with every major version upgrade.