Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
tom11011
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Tom

When target is the backup bottleneck

Post by tom11011 »

Hi Group,

When target is the bottleneck for a lan backup, setting disk performance aside, can memory and/or cpu be the culprit?

I have 2 backup repository servers which also serve as proxies. One server is single cpu and 32gig memory. The other server is dual cpu and 64gig memory. The disks are the same and the raid controller is the same. I have nearly similar backup jobs pointing to the two different repository servers. The server with more cpu and memory has a throughput about 3x faster. Looks like 45MB/s vs 15MB/s.

The faster repository also has the Veeam console software installed, I know that shouldn't matter with proxies etc.. Jobs configured near identical with SAN and CBT. All the phy disks are online. One job takes 6 hours, the other 14 hours.

I want to make sure I am not missing something obvious before spending money to add hardware.

Thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: When target is the backup bottleneck

Post by Gostev »

Yes, it can. Hardware may indeed be an issue when you're running multiple components on the same server. You want to make sure your server meet system requirements - remember you should be adding RAM requirements for each component that the given server runs. And as far as CPU, just monitor it's load during the backup window. Thanks!
tom11011
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Tom

Re: When target is the backup bottleneck

Post by tom11011 »

thanks for the response.