Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
stevewalker
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Steve Walker

Which features are required for HP 3PAR SAN snapshot backups

Post by stevewalker »

Hi,

I am looking to implement Veeam B&R 8 on a physical backup server which will be attached to the FC fabric connecting our ESXi 5.5 servers to an HP 3PAR 7200 StoreServ array. The VMware ESXi 5.5 (Ent Plus) hosts will use this storage for VMs, and wish to purchase Veeam Enterprise Plus B&R licenses in order to enable the backup from SAN array snapshot functionality. However I'm not sure on a couple of areas which I'm hoping someone can answer easily:

HP's 3PAR Application Software Suite for VMware license says that it provides support for VASA and VAAI, and is licensed 'per system'. In which case I interpret this to be one license for each ESXi host, but I don't believe any part of this functionality needs to be licensed also to the physical Veeam server? If I had 4 ESXi hosts would that equal the number of licenses required, or are these additional API features not required for SAN snapshots to work?

HP's documentation mentions that the above suite includes HP 3PAR Recovery Manager for VMware vSphere (on the array controller) and requires HP 3PAR Virtual Copy software (sold separately or
as part of the HP 3PAR Data Protection Software Suite) in order to carry out point in time snapshots. p113 of the Veeam training course manual explains that we need to have the Virtual Copy function, but does not mention VASA or VAAI features.

In order for Veeam to be able to utilise the direct SAN snapshot capability, in addition to an out of the box HP 3PAR 7200 array, do I need the following two sets of licenses or only the latter -

- Application Software Suite for VMware
- HP Virtual Copy

I am not able to speak in more detail to an HP reseller since the solution needs to be procured in a different locality, so to an extent I am operating a little blind here. I appreciate your feedback!!

Cheers
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Which features are required for HP 3PAR SAN snapshot bac

Post by foggy »

Steve, only Virtual Copy license is required for Veeam B&R.
stevewalker
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Steve Walker

Re: Which features are required for HP 3PAR SAN snapshot bac

Post by stevewalker »

Great news - thanks for clearing that up for me. I don't think that VASA and VAAI are a necessarily a 'must have', so it's good to unpick those from the Veeam requirements.