Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
gkaram@pvkent.com
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Sh33pDog

Windows bitlocker File level backup

Post by gkaram@pvkent.com »

Hello,

Is it possible to perform a file level backup of a windows VM that has bitlocker enabled? We are presently backing up the VM and I realize it is not possible to do I file level restore from that backup without performing an instant restore and the steps involved with retrieving the files from that restore. However, is it possible to backup the files from the shares as an VEEAM encrypted backup that will then allows us to perform file level restores? I realize this will add to our backup storage, but it seems it would be easier to perform a restore and I will still be encrypted at rest via the VEEAM encryption.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Windows bitlocker File level backup

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Sh33pDog,
Is it possible to perform a file level backup of a windows VM that has bitlocker enabled? We are presently backing up the VM and I realize it is not possible to do I file level restore from that backup without performing an instant restore and the steps involved with retrieving the files from that restore.
Please check that bitlocker auto unlock is enabled on that specific machine.
However, is it possible to backup the files from the shares as an VEEAM encrypted backup that will then allows us to perform file level restores?
If the files are accessible over SMB or NFS, then yes bitlocker should not be a problem. Thanks!
FrancWest
Veteran
Liked: 93 times
Full Name: Franc

Post by FrancWest »

Will using the Veeam Agent for Windows be a solution? Since in that case the data is retrieved from inside the VM and bitlocker is bypassed if the volume is unlocked during backup.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Franc,

Veeam Agent for Windows indeed provides ability to backup the machine protected with bitlocker. Thanks!