Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
others78
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Others

Veeam vPower NFS Service same port

Post by others78 »

Hello,
I have already the standard NFS Service from Windows. So I'm not able to start also the Veeam vPower NFS Service (same port 161).
How can I change the vPower NFS's port?
I need the NFS's windows service (I don't want to disable it).

Regards
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: Veeam vPower NFS Service same port

Post by Gostev »

Hello, you have to look for changing Windows NFS port number, otherwise ESX will be connecting to Windows NFS server instead of vPower NFS server. Alternatively, you should use different server to install Veeam Backup on. Thanks!
others78
Novice
Full Name: Others

Post by others78 »

Mmhh.
ESX will connect to my Windows NFS because I have the ISO's repository. So I need it. And I don't want to install Veeam to an other server.
If I change the Windows NFS port, I can't mount the ISO repository because the port is different from the standard (161).

The Vpower NFS server is only used in order to use the "Instant Recover" function?

Regards,
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

others78 wrote:If I change the Windows NFS port, I can't mount the ISO repository because the port is different from the standard (161)
Yep, this is exactly the reason why you cannot do this for vPower NFS either ;)
others78 wrote:The Vpower NFS server is only used in order to use the "Instant Recover" function?
Also for application item recovery, multi-OS file level recovery, SureBackup and on-demand sandbox. But Instant VM Recovery feature alone is more than enough reason to have it. Why cannot you simply provision new VM and install Veeam Backup there?

Why not just remove Windows NFS altogether, and use vPower NFS as your ISO repository instead? Trust me, it is so much better than Windows NFS... we know this first hand - our original plan for was was to rely on Windows NFS for all vPower functionality, but eventually we were forced to invest significant (and unplanned) effort in implement our own NFS server from scratch. The only drawback here is that, of course, the vPower functionality performance will be affected due to extra load from NFS clients reading ISO data.
mpozar
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Changing Veeam NFS Service Ports

Post by mpozar »

[merged]

We are experiencing an issue with Veeam NFS and with Veeam support we have tracked it dow to the fact that there is a conflict with one of the Ports used by Veeam NFS (111/135, 1058 and 2049). The port in question is 111 and is being used by the CA ArcServe software we also have running on our physical Veeam backup Server that copies the Veeam Backup files onto tape for offsite storage.

Is there a way to change the PORTS being used by Veeam NFS?

I am also investigating the possibility of changing the ArcServer port.

Have FUN!
Michael
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Hi Michael, 111 is the standard port allocated to NFS. If you change it, VMware will simply not be able to see the NFS storage Veeam implements. Thanks.
adrianmarsh
Novice
Full Name: adrian marsh

Post by adrianmarsh »

Hi I have a similar problem with Netbackup running on the same server. NB requires the windows NFS portmapper service, on 111.
So is there no way to change the port number, or perhaps if I setup a second IP on the NIC, can I specify which NIC to use ?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Adrian, could you tell me if you've considered using vPower NFS for NetBackup server and removing Windows NFS altogether?
adrianmarsh
Novice
Full Name: adrian marsh

Post by adrianmarsh »

Hi Vitaliy,

I haven't no as I've no idea how I would do that, or if NB would work with it ?

At the moment I'm fighting issues with GRT restore in Netbackup (with Symantec support), so I want to resolve those first before I make anything more complicated. Is there anything documenting it ??
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Disregard Vitaly's suggestion. He means that if you are using this box as NFS server to share some files, then you could potentially share those files through vPower NFS.

However, if you need windows NFS portmapper service on 111 because NB requires it, then this is not an option.

Unfortunately, there is little you could do here - the only option is to either remove NB, or install Veeam elsewhere.

Thanks.
theark
Novice

Post by theark »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hello Adrian, could you tell me if you've considered using vPower NFS for NetBackup server and removing Windows NFS altogether?
how do I go about connecting to Veeam V Power as an NFS server? I've tried just connecting to the servers IP on a mac using NFS but it cannot connect.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I believe the steps should be the same as if you connect to an ordinary NFS server. As regards your error...could you please tell me if your ESX(i) host can successfully connect to this vPower NFS server?
iroche
Enthusiast
Full Name: Ian Roche

Post by iroche »

I came up against this one as well, from my reading of this thread it would seem its possible to leverage the Veeam NFS server to create a standard NFS share ? If my understanding is correct can anyone fill me in on how this is done. Also I presume if again this is doable and the NFS share is heavily utilized it will have a negative impact on Veeam restores ?

Thanks as always
Ian
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Hi Ian, just put the files you need to share in the vPower NFS root folder that you specified during setup. Of course, just like with any shared resource, the more clients will be using the NFS server concurrently, the less performance each client will get. Thanks.
DonFirst
Novice
Full Name: DonFirst

Post by DonFirst »

I had a similar problem which i resolve.
Solution is to change the setting of auto-start CASportmapper service from Automatic to Automatic (Deleyed start)
Regards
Don
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

The core problem here is that two processes cannot share the same TCP/IP port. So, I am not sure how simply delaying one service startup can resolve this limitation.
nreutemann
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Nicolas Reutemann

Post by nreutemann »

My contribution:

I got CA ArcServe and Veeam B&R on the same physical server.

After apply this: "Solution is to change the setting of auto-start CASportmapper service from Automatic to Automatic (Delayed start)" (thanks DonFirst), the problem remains.

When I execute the command: netstat -nba >c:\veeamnfs.txt, the port 111 has used for portmap.exe (a Windows Service). After stop (and disable) the "ONC/RPC Portmapper" Service, and restart de Veeam vPower NFS Service, I finally can connect a datastore to the veeam server.

I hope this can help anyone.

Bye.
fcoa
Novice
Full Name: Eric

Post by fcoa »

I was able to use the following registry change to resolve this conflict between Arcserve and Veeam:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ComputerAssociates\Arcserve Backup\Base\AlternateRPCPorts\DefaultPortNumber=1100 (DWORD)

Source:
https://arcserve.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/a ... /206116176

Another potential workaround:
https://arcserve.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/a ... /202873885