Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
MatzeB
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Matthias Beller

NAS Backup from Netapp Secondary

Post by MatzeB »

Hello,

I have a feature request about NAS backup from enterprise storage.
Most of our customers use Netapp storage systems as file servers. In some projects I have already used the Netapp integration into the NAS backup, but this has an unpleasant limitation.

Often the backup chain at the customer looks like this:
Primary Netapp --> Snapmirror to Secondary Netapp --> NAS/Offsite/Tape Backup or similar.

So in the Netapp environment it is very common that file/NAS based backups are done from the secondary system. If you try to do this with Veeam you get an error because the replication target is by design read-only. However, Veeam always tries to trigger a StorageSnapshot, which will fail.

Code: Select all

16.05.2023 18:00:09 :: Processing DEMO5_NS\DEMO5_NS:\vol_demo5_sata_cifs_share03_dst Error: Snapshot copies can only be created on read/write (RW) volumes  
From my point of view it would make sense that Veeam recognizes that it is a DP (Data Protection) volume and then does not try to create a snapshot here.

I have already discussed this with @Dima at VeeamON in Miami.

Regards
Matze
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: NAS Backup from Netapp Secondary

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Matthias,

Thank you so much for sharing this request and additional thanks for getting in touch via RnD forums! I fully understand the use case and will discuss it with NAS team. Meanwhile consider this improvement request noted!