9.5 Hyper-V 2016 Known Issues

Discussions specific to Microsoft Hyper-V hypervisor

Re: 9.5 Hyper-V 2016 Known Issues

Veeam Logoby cruggeri » Mon May 21, 2018 8:25 pm

There was also an update for Hyper-V 2016 just released I saw in this post:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... rverhyperv

Over lunch, I applied the update suggested by ss above to my VM, applied the update referred to in the technet forum to the host, rebooted. So far, 3 backups and a successful merge of the checkpoints. Not "out of the woods" yet, so to pseak, as it had begun failing after about 36 hours one time...but...I am hopeful.
cruggeri
Novice

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby cruggeri » Tue May 22, 2018 1:56 pm

and this morning I came in and see the AVHDX did not merge properly. So, still stuck.
cruggeri
Novice

Veeam Logoby pwm001 » Tue May 29, 2018 7:26 pm

Have you found a solution yet? I am having the same issue. I wonder if it's some sort of rights/permissions issue. I am using the free version of Veeam for my home lab and have a script that runs from Task Scheduler each night. I have been using this setup for about a year now and never had any problems. Lately I changed some admin passwords and created a new domain admin account so I could disable the default domain admin account. I use the new account to run the scripts and sometimes it works and sometimes I have the same issue as you. I can run the backups just fine one at a time from the Veeam B&S, but my script fails most of the time. I haven't tried restarting the VMMS to see if it will merge all the VMs, but I will try that the next time it happens. Like you, some of the VMs merge after shutting them down and some fail and I have to fix them manually if I can. Powershell commands don't fix them. You are the only other person I have found with the exact same issue. Just an FYI, my script runs at 4 AM on one host to backup 6 VMs on two hosts. At this time, there is no one logged in to the server.
pwm001
Lurker

Full Name: Philip W Michael

Veeam Logoby cruggeri » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:32 pm

I have been out of office. It is still failing; however, we have a little more information.

While out, I had someone fill in for me. We had resolved to shutting down the machine, backing it up, then immediately restoring it. When my "fill in" attempted this for the 1st time, he was unable to restore and we discovered the Hyper-V virtual machine management service needed to be restarted (I had been rebooting the host as well).

Upon my return, I was attempting to restart the VMMS service to see if the backups would succeed, which they didn't; however, I did see that when the machine was shut down to run the backup, the snapshots immediately began to merge, actually, causing the backup to fail; but, everything was then merged.

So, starting last night, I watched the backup run and create the checkpoint. Once the checkpoint creation was completed and the backup began, I restarted the VMMS service. The backup was successful and the Avhdx files merged as expected. I repeated this again this morning, with the same result. It has only been twice now, and we have had issues after successfully running a day, so I don't know if this would continue to work, but it has so far.
cruggeri
Novice

Veeam Logoby gorka » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:38 pm

Hi,
the problem is hyper-v 2016, I am also suffering these last 2 weeks without finding a solution. Every day I have to combine vhdx manually, restart the administrator of virtual machines of hyper-v etc etc, I do not know what else to try, I'm dying
gorka
Enthusiast

Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Gorka Izquierdo Bizkarrondo

Veeam Logoby greg.haberek » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:26 pm

I was having the same problem with these .avhdx files remaining after the backup checkpoints were removed. This started happening after running Windows Updates on the hosts on May 25, 2018 (bringing them up to kb4103723). Same symptoms as described previously: there are no checkpoints listed but there are .avhdx files sitting in the Virtual Hard Disks folder for the machine.

I would have to shutdown the virtual machine, manually merge each of the .avhdx file into its parent, and then re-attach the original .vhdx and restart the machine. The guests affected were running any of CentOS 6, CentOS 7, Server 2008 R2, and Server 2016. One thing that was strange, is that it always seemed to be the same guests with the leftover .avhdx files.

I finally stumbled upon kb4103720 which is not coming down through WSUS. I downloaded it manually from the Update Catalog as described in the article and installed it manually on each of my Hyper-V hosts yesterday, before my backups started for the night. This SEEMS to have resolved the issue as of this morning. There are no .avhdx files to be found on any of my machines.

What's strange, is that KB article doesn't specifically mention this issue in its release notes. The closest it comes is this:

kb4103720 wrote:
  • Addresses an issue that makes it impossible to revert to a virtual machine checkpoint. Reapplying the checkpoint fails with an error.

We don't use Veeam Backup for Hyper-V so I can confirm that is not what's causing the issue. (We do use Veeam Backup for Office 365.) We are (unfortunately) using NetVault Backup for a while longer until we can get off some legacy systems that Veeam does not support. For me, this issue seems to be related specifically to the update kb4103723 for Windows Server 2016. However, others seem to have been having this issue since before that update was released.

I'll keep a close eye on this and report back if the situation changes. For now I'm considering this resolved on my Hyper-V hosts.
greg.haberek
Lurker

Full Name: Greg Haberek

Veeam Logoby gorka » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:34 am

Hi
for a moment I thought I had the solution, but that kb has already been applied to my hyper-v server.
I have a temporary solution, I have created a script that restarts the virtual machine management service of hyper-v, 3 minutes before the Veeam Backup task, with this temporary solution, I avoid that the avhdx remain un-merged, and the Backups jobs are done correctly.
gorka
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby cruggeri » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:42 pm

Interesting Gorka....has this continued to work? I have been restarting the VMMS service after the job creates the checkpoint for about 2 weeks now, but if i can add a startup script to the job itself that would eliminate any manual effort.
cruggeri
Novice

Veeam Logoby gorka » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:09 pm

hi Cruggeri, I still use the script (.bat) 2 minutes before the backup task, I have it with the windows task scheduler and I have it execute a .bat file with the following command: net stop vmms && net start vmms . I've been using it for days and it never fails. I have configured it with the windows task scheduler, but it could also be configured with the option that Veeam Backup has for pre-script and post-script, I leave this link where it explains where to configure these parameters.
https://aprendiendoavirtualizar.com/vee ... t-timeout/
gorka
Enthusiast

Previous

Return to Microsoft Hyper-V