Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Anders
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Anders Lorensen

Add Hyper-V VMM 2012R2 and 2019 to same Veeam

Post by Anders »

I have a Veeam B&R 9.5 U4b server that is connected to a Hyper-V 2019 SCVMM. - That means I have Hyper-V VMM Console 2019 installed on the Veeam server.
Its working just fine.

Now I want to add a Hyper-V 2012R2, and keep getting an error (unable to reconnect to powershell session) - my googeling skills tells me its because I havent installed Hyper-V VMM console 2012R2. - But I cannot install that, as the 2019 is installed.
If I try to use the Hyper-V VMM 2019 on the server to connect to the Hyper-V 2012R2 installation, it fails as well.

So I'm not sure how to proceed. Is it a simple limitation that you cannot use same veeam server to connect to 2012R2 and 2019, or am I just seeing a bug of sorts and need to open a support case? or what am I missing?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Add Hyper-V VMM 2012R2 and 2019 to same Veeam

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Anders,

That is a known limitation since 2 different versions of VMM consoles cannot be installed on the same server(technically they can, keep reading).
Possible workarounds(from easiest to hardest):
- add one of the SCVMMs hyper-v clusters as "Hyper-V Cluster" instead, that will only require installed SCVMM console for another
- add 2012R2 clusters under same SCVMM 2019 management(aka unify multi-cluster management under single SCVMM server)
- there is a way to install different versions of SCVMM Consoles on the same machine via msi. Best to check with Microsoft if they support it.

Hope that helps!
Anders
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Anders Lorensen

Re: Add Hyper-V VMM 2012R2 and 2019 to same Veeam

Post by Anders »

That helped alot!
The first/easiest option worked fine. (after some DNS issues, fixed with a host file)

Thanks!