Automatic Backup After Migration

Hyper-V specific discussions

Automatic Backup After Migration

Veeam Logoby mkaec » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:48 pm

I have multiple 2012 R2 Hyper-V hosts configured in B&R. After I used live migration to move a VM to a new host, I checked the backup job. In the "Virtual Machines" tab, clicking recalculate showed a size of 0.0 for the migrated VM. To resolve, I removed the VM, then re-added it from the new host.

Is it possible to configure B&R to automatically make adjustments to existing backup jobs so that migrated VMs will still back up without the need for me to edit the backup jobs?
mkaec
Expert

Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Marc K

Re: Automatic Backup After Migration

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:58 pm

How your VMs are added to the jobs? Via standalone hosts or via SCVMM?
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby mkaec » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:01 pm

They are standalone hosts. The live migration was performed using Hyper-V Manager.
mkaec
Expert

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:02 pm

v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby mkaec » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:40 pm

The referenced link states the reason for this behavior is "VMs are tracked by their unique IDs and migrating VMs within a cluster allows to preserve those ID's. However registering a VM on a standalone host assigns a new ID to it."

I ran some tests with two Server 2012 R2 hosts to test this and it appeared to me that the IDs were not changing. There were 3 things I checked before and after the live migration.

1. Name of the machine's configuration XML file. This is in the format of <GUID>.xml. The file name did not change after the move.
2. The contents of the machine's configuration XML file from each host before and after the move. The only GUIDs I found that changed were "HostResource" and "SwitchName".
3. The ID produced from the PowerShell script available at http://stealthpuppy.com/retrieving-a-vm ... m-hyper-v/. The ID returned by the script was the same before and after the move.

Perhaps older versions of Hyper-V did change the ID when migrated between standalone hosts and that has since been fixed. (I do not have hosts running older versions of Windows to test with.) To me it looks like it is technically possible for Veeam to track moved VMs between standalone hosts, at least with Server 2012 R2.
mkaec
Expert

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:50 pm

Host ID's are also used to track VMs and since those are changed after live migration between standalone hosts, there's no ability to track such VMs.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1079 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby mkaec » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:44 pm

That's how it currently works. But, it's like that because of a design decision, not a technical limitation. My request is that some intelligence be added to the process.

For example, the current code probably looks something like this:

Code: Select all
if (guestNotFoundOnHost)
    GiveUpAndLogError();

A different implementation might be:

if (guestNotFoundOnHost)
{
    CheckOtherHostsForGuest();
    if (guestFoundOnMUltipleHosts)
        LogErrorAndQuit();
    else if (oneOrMoreHostsCouldNotBeChecked)
        LogErrorAndQuit();
    else if (guestFoundOnOneAndOnlyOneHost)
        UpdateHostIDAndContinue();
    else
        LogErrorAndQuit();
}

I imagine the reason why host IDs are tracked is to handle the edge case when the same guest guest somehow gets registered on multiple hosts. That issue can be avoided while still automatically processing moves between standalone hosts.
mkaec
Expert

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:34 am

You're correct that this is a design decision that is also effective in other areas of product operation. Anyway, thanks for your feedback.
foggy
Veeam Software

[MERGED] change stand alone hyper-v host?

Veeam Logoby Battlestorm » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:56 pm

Hi,
I'm currently stuck in the situation where by i have 3 HV Vm's being backed up with veeam from a standalone hyper-v server.
the vm's have been moved to a new hyper-v server and the old hyper-v server has been shutdown, breaking the backups

is there any way to update the backup jobs with the new server/location without recreating them?

regards,
Daniel
Battlestorm
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Daniel Ely

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:26 pm

Daniel, you would need to add the new host to Veeam B&R and re-add VMs to the job.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby mkaec » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:05 pm

It looks like there is a tool available to deal with a similar issue in VMware (kb2136). It would be nice if there were something like this for Hyper-V that could help remap VMs after a live-migration between standalone hosts.
mkaec
Expert

Return to Microsoft Hyper-V