Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
UniMatrix
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Erik van der Neut

Azure Stack HCI Storage Spaces Direct- how to connect backup server

Post by UniMatrix »

Hi there,

we will probably be migrating from a 3-node Hyper-V cluster with shared iSCSI storage to an Azure Stack HCI 2-node cluster using 'local' storage mirrored on the nodes with Storage Spaces Direct and nodes connected to each other with direct connected RDMA adapters (no storage switch).

At the moment, our Veeam server has a dedicated connection to the iSCSI VLAN and the same access tot the SAN and CSV's as the Hyper-V hosts.

I really wonder how this is done in the case of Azure Stack HCI? Is it all done over the network? Do we need an RDMA switch and adapter in the backup server?

I've tried a couple of times to find this information, but all I find is that Azure Stack HCI is supported but not how to physically connect the backup server to it.

If there is any documentation someone can point me to?

Best regards, Erik.
johan.h
Veeam Software
Liked: 182 times
Full Name: Johan Huttenga

Re: Azure Stack HCI Storage Spaces Direct- how to connect backup server

Post by johan.h » 2 people like this post

Azure Stack HCI is handled just like Hyper-V. The on-host proxy gets deployed when you connect to Azure Stack HCI from VBR. Just like if you would connect to a Hyper-V cluster. After backup processing this would use the Veeam Data Mover and data would be copied over the network to your destination backup target.