Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

B&R11a Installer Stuck On "Enabling missing features. Please wait..."

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

I'm attempting to upgate VeeamB&R 10a to VeeamB&R 11a and it failed on three issues, including not having Powershell 5.1. This is a Server 2012 machine.

I've been waiting for half an hour and it is stuck on "Enabling missing features. Please wait..."

I'm tempted to close it, reboot the server, and restart the install, but I don't know if it is in the middle of something as there is a severe lack of information on current progress.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: B&R11a Installer Stuck On "Enabling missing features. Please wait..."

Post by Mildur »

If you have created a configuration backup, before the upgrade process, then you are safe. You could reboot and try again. If it‘s not working, remove the vbr installation and install it again. After that, restore the configuration backup and you have your old configuration back.

You can have a look a the install logs in C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Setup.
There you should see, what is happening. And if it‘s something happening.

But I recommend to open a support case as requested when you opened this topic. It‘s needed for any technical issue because it‘s normally needs log analyzing to find the cause. Over the forum, it‘s impossible to see your infrastructure and why it‘s stuck.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Hi Mildur,

Thank you for your reply. I ended up cancelling the install and then rebooted the server. I think the server was having issues as it took 50 minutes for it to reboot. I will try again today once the backup copies have all finished.
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

I still can't install Veeam B&R 11a. Looking at the prerequisites I believe it is Powershell 5.1 that is causing the issue, which doesn't want to install on this Server 2012 (non-R2) machine if I install it manually from the install file in the ISO.

I suspect more is going on, the Microsoft patches in Windows Updates are failing to install, and the ones that do end up back in the list of patches available to install.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

As Fabian has said, please open a support request and share a support case ID with us so that we can keep an eye on it and control that the investigation moves into the right direction. Also, technical issues related to install or upgrade operations are usually complicated ones as we need to dive deeper to understand what's going on at the level of OS itself. One more point is that all troubleshooting steps must be documented by our support engineers, the reason is that sometimes inappropriate actions could worsen the situation and make the whole puzzle more difficult than it was initially.

Thanks!
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Post by AlexLeadingEdge » 1 person likes this post

The server stopped receiving Windows Updates, and after wasting several hours trying to get the Windows Update components to work again I decided to build a new server. The new server with VeeamBR 10a has picked up the exported VeeamBR 10a settings from the old server, then upgraded to VeeamBR 11a successfully, then has taken over the backups as if nothing happened.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Thanks for updating us with the solution.
Just as an information, you can import a configuration backup from a previous version (V9.4b, V10, V10a, V11) to a newly installed V11a. Our restore wizard will upgrade the content of the configuration backup automatically to the newer VBR version.
There is no need to install the exact same VBR version for the configuration restore.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Hi Fabian,

As it turned out the backups didn't pick up from where they left off. The first backups and backup copies were all fine after it upgraded from 10a to 11a, but then there was an issue with the time format, so that it tried to notify about the job status and failed, causing the job to 'fail'. The backups themselves were fine, but instead of waiting until the backup copies had something to do they would retry repeatedly despite having actually completed.

You can see my sage here:

veeam-backup-replication-f2/string-was- ... 70634.html