Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
adampski
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: acc

Backing up Hyper-V Linux VM with Veeam Agent for Linux

Post by adampski »

I was going to create a support case but as I'm only a NFR key user, that might explain why I couldn't see my Support ID in my B&R console...

Anywho. My type 2 hypervisor is Windows 10. I accept this means I can't add it as a managed standalone Hyper-V server and utilise VSS benefits, however I figured I'd try and back them up via the Veeam Agents for Linux. Because I like the idea of using a console to control/view all.

Before I go in to detail about what problems i'm having, is backing up a Linux VM on Hyper-V even supported with the agent from B&R?

Long story short, the clients are not logging anything outrageous to suggest what the problem may be. However the server is logging "Error: This functionality requires paid Veeam Agent license installed". The licence menu in B&R console is showing I have 360 days left and I even tried reinstalling the Linux agent, installing the licence file, then rescanning in the B&R console so it becomes managed again.

My environment does not have any central user auth system, purely local system accounts. My repo (which is cifs/smb share) has access permissions set to "Allow everyone"
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Backing up Hyper-V Linux VM with Veeam Agent for Linux

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi adampski,

First: Welcome to the forums!
Second: You have an NFR key for VBR. Is that correct? Do you also have NFR keys for Veeam Agent for Linux. From what I can see, you are trying to manage the agent for Linux from the VBR console, which requires a licensed edition of the agent.

Let me know
Brgds,
Mike
adampski
Novice

Post by adampski »

Hello

Thank you

Yes I have NFR key for B&R and Linux agent, "I even tried reinstalling the Linux agent, installing the licence file, then rescanning in the B&R console so it becomes managed again."

If I reinstall the Linux agent and create a backup job locally but still pointing to the B&R server and use it's one of its repositories, all is well. But I can't manage things like recovery or the schedule from B&R console.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

In order to manage agents from VBR you need to install Agent License into VBR. After that you'll be able to deploy and manage agent. You don't need to install Agent license locally to the Agent.

Thanks
adampski
Novice

Post by adampski »

Thank you, I did figure this out eventually but none the less thanks for coming back to me.