Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

Backup copies all run at the same time

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

Hi guys,

We are using the latest version of v9.5. We have a backup run every night, but my predecessor thought it was a good idea to split Windows and Non-Windows VMs so we have two backup jobs called All Windows to E and All Non-Windows to E. This is fine, but when the All Windows to E backup job completes it then kicks of five backup copies, one for each of the Windows VMs, which backup to a USB drive that is rotated daily. This results in all five completing at roughly the same time, and then they all try to do the merge at the same time. The problem then is that the USB drives have enough storage space for two copies (which is the minimum allowed), but when the merge starts it then runs out of disk space as this is effectively a third copy. I have tried playing with the start time, but it still starts when the backup completes.

Other than splitting up the backups, or combining all the backup copies into one job, is there a way to stagger the backup copies so they run one after the other? Has this issue been resolved in v10?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup copies all run at the same time

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Have you played with the max concurrent tasks limit on the repository?
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Post by AlexLeadingEdge » 1 person likes this post

Ah! That is exactly what I wanted. I didn't even realise that option was there, was looking in the wrong place. Thanks Foggy! 8)
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Post by AlexLeadingEdge » 1 person likes this post

Backup copies have completed for 3 days without incident. 8)