Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Alxs
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Alexis Monnier

Backup copy scheduling

Post by Alxs »

Hello,

I try to find to schedule corrtly my backup solution to keep 3 month of daily backup on a datadomain without DDBoost (It's an old model)

In the infrastructure I have :

1 NAS setup to store two weeks backup
1 old DataDomain to store daily backup durin last 3 month (DD Boost is not avaible)
1 lto 5 tape drive to archive my backup

So I setup a backup job with 14 restore point to the NAS. Until there no problem

But now I try to find a way to setup a backup copy job to keep every backup durin 3 month on the data domain. On this page ( http://www.veeam.com/kb1956 ) I see that veeam do not recommand to have a backup chain of more tha 30 retore points.

So how can I do ? Does it have a way to schedule an active full on a backup copy job ? (I don't want to set up a second "backup job" since I don't want to impact twice the production storage)
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Backup copy scheduling

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Alexis,
Usually our customers leverage GFS retention to keep weekly historical backups and have 7-14 most recent "daily" restore points.
Alxs wrote:So how can I do ? I don't want to set up a second "backup job" since I don't want to impact twice the production storage
However if you want last 90 daily restore points in the DR site, you can create 2 backup copy jobs running once in 2 days. It will not make an extra load on the production storage. Thus you will have two 45-points long chains. Or 3 backup copy jobs with 30 points retention, but I believe 2 jobs will also work fine.
Alxs wrote:Does it have a way to schedule an active full on a backup copy job ?
Not in v8 unfortunately, but expecting the feature in next versions. Thanks!