Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Backup Fails to prepare guests for volume snapshot

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

Case #: 00995599

This is a new install with an evaluation version of VBR 8.0.0.2030. I have setup multiple backups that run without issue. Today I added a new server to backup with is a server 2012 R2 that is just a file server, no applications on it, when I try to run the first Active Full it says: "Processing SVR Error: Failed to prepare guests for volume snapshot."
I went onto the server and set the snapshot to No Limit, tried the job and it still fails. Usually after setting the Shadow Copies setting it works, but not this time. Any one that could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.
VMCE v9
JaxIsland7575
Veteran
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: Ryan Jacksland

Re: Backup Fails to prepare guests for volume snapshot

Post by JaxIsland7575 »

So looking into this, I believe this may be caused by VBR being on 2008 R2 and the server I am trying to back up is a 2012 R2. Can someone confirm this is the issue and possible workaround?

Cheers!

Edit: Just needed to disable Enable Application Aware Processing, now its working. :D
VMCE v9
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backup Fails to prepare guests for volume snapshot

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Ryan,

The VMs you're backing up can be running any supported guest OS, the same refer to Veeam backup server. This data is published in the release notes document. As regards the error you've observed, then it seems like there is an issue with VSS requester for this very server, also I would check VSS writers state for this VM.

Thanks!