Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
hbilke
Expert
Liked: 4 times

Hyper-V overall design question

Post by hbilke »

Ave collegae,

a customer (w/support for B&R, Veeam365 and Azure) laid out the following concept:

* produktion system --> Cloud / Azure VMs incl. SQL
* OnPrem basics: DC, NPS, management console, AAD / Intune connectors (* backup Replication OnPrem -- cloud basic systems < 4h delta)
* backup of VM infrastructure on prem (site recovery possible) (* Veeam + Backup located there)

So they want the disaster recovery take place on premise - if sh... happens.

Discuss it here or is it possible to utilize a support call?

hRy
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Best place to discuss requirements

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
here is the right place. Support is only for "break & fix".

To give some ideas, it would be good to have some numbers... how many VMs where, how much data where? RTO times? I also got lost on point 2 and 3.

Best regards,
Hannes

PS: I edited the title to increase the chances that someone will read your post. I also moved it to the general forums, as it seemed to be not specific for Hyper-V
hbilke
Expert

Re: Hyper-V overall design question

Post by hbilke »

Okay, thanx Hannes

the points I can clarify directly:
"2" they have an AADConnector / IntuneConnector already in place - hybrid AD / Azure with mail completely Exchange Online, hybrid Connector Exchange still in place. So they want to keep DC, NPS/Radius and for now Cisco ASA and PaloAlto firewalls on prem (moving them to Azure is still under evaluation).

"3" usually the strategy is to have the workload on prem and use Azure as recovery. But they have a workload that has to be accessed by a bigger bunch of very flexible staffers - where they work, home officers, road warriors ... so they tend to have the main workload on azure and have their "emergency rooms" on premise.

RTO: I asked a manager per mail and we have a telco tomorrow. So I'll may give the info after that.

Cheers
hRy
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,

2) how many machines are we talking about here (Windows, Linux?)? How many users do they have in Microsoft 365? How much data for Hyper-V and M365?
3) Technically it seems possible. But my feeling is, that the size of the environment is so small, that it doesn't pay off. The idea of emergency on-prem requires preparation (costs). Which data should be available on-prem?

My feeling is, that if they store everything in Exchange / Sharepoint / Onedrive, then one product would be the best fit: Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365. Otherwise multiple products must be used and I'm not sure, whether complexity might be too high for that size of customer.

Best regards,
Hannes
hbilke
Expert

Post by hbilke »

Gruess Gott Hannes,

RTO: 4h

VMs used storage on prem: 10TB
VMs: 18 Windows 2 Linux
VMs RAM: 380GB

all mailboxes online: 282
protected mailboxes: 535

Veeam365 is already used and backing up an average of 4.5GB per day. Size of repo to date: 3.7TB

Two VMs Azure: standard B4ms, standard B2s
Two SQL instances (after new version of application 1 SQL)

veeam azure-backup is licensed and prepared.

They are using a RDS-host on prem that should be moved to Azure.

Cheers
Harry
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
well, then there are really many moving parts

For the VMs, I would use Veeam Backup & Replication and manage Veeam backup for Azure from there. by doing that, you can use backup copy jobs to copy azure VMs to on-prem (via external repository). For the other way round, local storage with scale out repositories (SOBR) plus a copy mode in capacity tier in Azure can be used. Then all data of the on-prem VMs is mirrored to Azure and can be restored in Azure in worst case.

Best regards,
Hannes
hbilke
Expert

Post by hbilke »

Thanx alot.

Will see where that journey ends.

hRy