Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
StephanF
Enthusiast
Liked: 19 times

Bug (or FR?) when restoring a VM with attached virtual floppy disk

Post by StephanF »

Hi,

Support closed my case# 03399480, classified this as a feature request and sent me to the forum here. For me this seems more like a bug. So I wanted to hear your opinions.

We have a Hyper-V VM gen. 1 with a virtual Diskette Drive where a Virtual floppy disk (vfd) is attached. The backup of this VM works fine without any errors. The SureBackup Job of this VM also runs fine without any complaint.

Now I tried a restore of this machine and get an error. The error message is:

Code: Select all

Error    Reason: Unknown '1' type of controller
This happens for Instant VM recovery and Entire VM restore. Both times the restore operation fails. In my opinion this seems to be related to the Diskette Drive. Veeam does not seem to be able to configure the restored VM correctly.

The support guy told me that backing up a VM with an attached vfd is not supported and I am able to recover the vhdx-files to get my data. This is basically true but I think the behavior is not consistent here.
If the backup of this machine is not supported then Veeam should complain during the backup or at least at the SureBackup job. I am doing SureBackup jobs to be "sure" a restore of the VM will succeed. But this is not true here.

To make it clear: I don't expect Veeam to backup the content of the virtual floppy disk. But I expect a consistent behavior. Either there should be warnings during the backup or SureBackup job that the restore of this VM will fail or the restore should succeed (without the attached virtual floppy disk).

So for me this is a bug not a feature. What do you think?

Regards
Stephan
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Bug (or FR?) when restoring a VM with attached virtual floppy disk

Post by HannesK »

Hello Stephan,
reading your description I tend to agree with you, but please give me some time for investigation.

Thanks,
Hannes
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello Stephan,
thanks for bringing it up. It's a bug.

Also moved post to Hyper-V forum as it is Hyper-V specific.

Best regards,
Hannes
StephanF
Enthusiast

Post by StephanF »

Hello Hannes,

thank you for the Feedback. I opened a new case# 03408150 because I could not reopen the old one and keep you informed about the progress.

Regars,
Stephan
StephanF
Enthusiast

Post by StephanF »

Just a short feedback. This is indeed a bug in Update 4 that is related to the restore of VMs with floppy disks attached. I was provided a private fix that solved the problem.

Anybody facing this issue can reference case #03408150.

Thanks to the Veeam support team for solving this. :D

Regards,
Stephan