Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
CBHBVT
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Chris Larose

Case # 05295340, ReFS Corruption Issues?

Post by CBHBVT »

Over the weekend we had an unexpected restart due to a Windows Update problem on our Veeam server. Following this, the next backup of our VMs produced the following errors:
Error: A data integrity checksum error occurred. Data in the file stream is corrupt. Asynchronous request operation has failed. [readsize = 1048576] [offset = 4716625920] Failed to upload disk. Skipped arguments: [HBR-FS-Data.vhdx]; Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}. Exception from server: A data integrity checksum error occurred. Data in the file stream is corrupt. Asynchronous request operation has failed. [readsize = 1048576] [offset = 4716625920] Unable to retrieve next block

And the following entry started showing up repeatedly in Event Logs
The file system detected a checksum error and was not able to correct it. The name of the file or folder is "F:\Backup\VM_Backups\HBR01_restored.1c61a308-b7af-454a-b8da-8a2cacD2022-02-18T220034_CC59.vib".
The Veeam logs also show that this file repeatedly failed to be uploaded to our Wasabi Cloud Storage account.

I opened a ticket with Veeam support, and the response was that since our files are set to immutable we/Wasabi cannot remove the corrupted vib file and that we should run an Active Full backup and the invalid restore point will be removed once it gets past the retention period. I ran an Active Full backup which completed without errors. I then proceeded to do a full test restore of all the VMs from that active full backup and ran into the following on one of the VMs:
Restore job failed Error: Failed to decompress LZ4 block: Bad crc (original crc: 1e321e68, current crc: b6c0f48a).
Failed to download disk 'D:\Restore Test\HBR-FS-Data.vhdx'.
Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.
Exception from server: Reconnectable protocol device was closed.
Failed to upload disk. Skipped arguments: [HBR-FS-Data.vhdx];
I'm not certain how to interpret this. Was the source of this problem with the new active full backup or on the destination hyper-v? Should I be concerned with the integrity of all the data on this ReFS volume?

Veeam tech support has been not so helpful. I received one email response a day after my initial ticket was opened, and nothing since.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Case # 05295340, ReFS Corruption Issues?

Post by Gostev »

The results of your active full backup recovery test show that your backup storage is malfunctioning severely and must be replaced.
CBHBVT
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Chris Larose

Re: Case # 05295340, ReFS Corruption Issues?

Post by CBHBVT » 1 person likes this post

Just to follow up on this. After fruitlessly chasing down drive corruption issues on the Veeam server, on the VM os's and on the host os, we replaced the Veeam server's RAM (after a BSOD memory dump indicated possible memory failure) and have experienced no more issues with corrupted backups or restorations. So if anyone else experiences similar symptoms, consider swapping out your system memory as a possible troubleshooting step.