Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
proit
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: proit

Case #05295976 = Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: Access is denied. RPC function call failed.

Post by proit »

Hello everyone,
Looking for some help here.
I have a brand new server, backups have been working fine up until I changed my domain admin password, which I changed in Veeam also so we know it is the right password. We also know it's working in Veeam because application aware processing successfully passes the tests. What we did notice is that testing the credentials on the problematic server only passes because it can get a success through powershell, the 2 other methods (RPC being one) fails. I know this caused the error because the backups have all been successful up until the password change.
I have 2 hosts, the backups seem to only fail on one of the hosts. I tested this by moving the failing VMs to the other Hyper-V host in the cluster and they are successful.
The error I get is unable to allocate processing resources. Error: Access is denied. RPC function call failed. Function name: [InvokerTestConnection]. Target machine: machine name

I had a support call with an engineer yesterday for almost 4 hours with no success. I followed all the steps he suggested, rebooted the hosts, removed the problematic host from the domain rebooted it and rejoined it, updated the all 3 services on the problematic host, all to no avail. The final suggestion was to format the machine which obviously will work because it is like saying the mechanic cannot understand why the check engine light on the car is on so you should just buy a new car. Although a solution that will work it is not a real world solution.

Has anyone ever faced this? I read that there is a particular Windows update that causes this but I am on Windows Server 2019 and that update is not installed on my PC.

Both hosts are virtually identical I am at a loss as to what can be causing this. The problematic host can navigate in the domain, there are no DNS issues, nothing seems to give me a clear picture of the error.

I did a netstat and here are the results from both servers

problematic server

Code: Select all

Proto  Local Address          Foreign Address        State           PID
  TCP    0.0.0.0:6160           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       2868
 [VeeamDeploymentSvc.exe]
  TCP    0.0.0.0:6162           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       7176
 [VeeamTransportSvc.exe]
  TCP    0.0.0.0:6163           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       10980
 [VeeamHvIntegrationSvc.exe]
  TCP    0.0.0.0:6190           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       7852
 [Veeam.Guest.Interaction.Proxy.exe]
  TCP    0.0.0.0:6290           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       7852
  TCP    0.0.0.0:9102           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       4208
good server

Code: Select all

Proto  Local Address          Foreign Address        State           PID
  TCP    0.0.0.0:6160           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       4548
 [VeeamDeploymentSvc.exe]
  TCP    0.0.0.0:6162           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       4608
 [VeeamTransportSvc.exe]
  TCP    0.0.0.0:6163           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       4616
 [VeeamHvIntegrationSvc.exe]
  TCP    0.0.0.0:6190           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       7540
  TCP    0.0.0.0:6290           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       7540
  TCP    0.0.0.0:9102           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       4516
As you can see they are identical I'm really not sure what the issue is any help would be great.
Thanks
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Case #05295976 = Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: Access is denied. RPC function call failed.

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums. Agree, formatting the machine is _not_ a solution...

Yes, many people faced "access denied" issues in the past. In most cases, it happens when local credentials instead of domain credentials are used an the LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy kicks in. As you say that you have a cluster, that means you have a domain, so my assumption is, that this is not the reason.

Just to be sure: you only changed the password. You did not change the username? Anyway, which username do you use (local or domain)?

Best regards,
Hannes
ksimon
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Ken Simon

Re: Case #05295976 = Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: Access is denied. RPC function call failed.

Post by ksimon »

Have you rebooted the Veeam server?

I have opened a few tickets with very similar issues. Changed password, and now backups fail. In my case, it was not necessarily every backup, or even every one that used the same credentials. I have never received an acknowledgment that this is actually an issue. My suspicion is that the creds are cached in some way, and the cache is not necessarily cleared when credentials are changed.

If I change creds, I just reboot the Veeam server, and these errors go away.