Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
jmlnet
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: JML

Checkpoint not merging

Post by jmlnet »

I'm working with support on an issue (case 01824014) and we're now in research mode before we take action. Thought I'd post here to see if the community can help.

Running Server 2012R2 and have 3 server VMs on one host that are backed up and replicated by Veeam. When no backup is running, each VM hard drive has a VHDX and an AVHDX file and the VM settings show the Hard Drives as the AVHDX files, not the VHDX files. In the Hyper-V console, each VM shows a checkpoint as of 2-27-16 which corresponds to the date of the VHDX file. The AVHDX file has today's date. When a backup is running, a second AVHDX file is created and, over a few days, fills up the volume such that very bad things start happening. We cannot delete the checkpoint and there are no options in the Hyper-V console to do anything with the checkpoint.

The approach with support is to first merge the checkpoint into the vhdx file such that there are no checkpoints for the server VMs and the VHDX file is listed in the settings for each VM. Once we've figured out that part, we would run Veeam backups to see if a new checkpoint is created and not merged/deleted after backup. Unfortunately, neither myself nor support know the best way to merge the VHDX and AVHDX files and bring the VMs back to the state with no checkpoints and the VHDX file listed in settings for the VM.

So, can anyone help with a method to delete the checkpoint and get the vhdx file current with the data in the checkpoint?

Anyone seen this before? Know why it happened?

Any help or suggestion is appreciated.

nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Re: Checkpoint not merging

Post by nmdange » 2 people like this post

You have to use PowerShell to delete the checkpoint
https://blog.workinghardinit.work/2015/ ... l-machine/
jmlnet
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: JML

Re: Checkpoint not merging

Post by jmlnet » 1 person likes this post

I've been sick so sorry for late reply but THANK YOU for the link. That was exactly my problem and solution. I owe you a beer!