[Installation] Connect to Hyper-V cluster from different dom

Discussions specific to the Microsoft Hyper-V hypervisor

[Installation] Connect to Hyper-V cluster from different dom

Veeam Logoby lukaszh » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:23 pm

I'm trying to set up environment where all Hyper-V hosts are in dedicated and separated domain. I'm using VMM.
1. When I try to add my Hyper-V cluster to Veeam Backup, it tries to connect to servers using short names: SERVERNAME, instead of SERVERNAME.domain.local
Veeam is in another domain so this way it's unable to properly resolve names.

2. My second attempt was to user VMM. I can connect to my VMM server and gather all data from it (it's in the same domain as Veeam server) but Veeam then tries to connect to my Hyper-V hosts (correctly with SERVERNAME.domain.local) but using the same account which I'm using to VMM so it's user without permission from different domain.

I would like to not create any trust relationships.

Is there any other way to accomplish this configuration?
lukaszh
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Lukasz Herman

Re: [Installation] Connect to Hyper-V cluster from different

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:22 pm

Lukasz,

How did you add the cluster to Veeam Backup? Did you use the FQDN from the cluster (cluster.domain.local)?

Second, when you query the hyper-v hosts from the VBR server, are you getting the short names or the FQDN back?
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 487 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby lukaszh » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:22 am

Hi,

Everywhere I'm using FQDN names.
NETBIOS is disabled on all interfaces in the network.

I found a workaround by adding IP NETBIOS name pairs into my host file. This way adding Hyper-V cluster works.
lukaszh
Novice

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:54 am

Lukasz,

Thanks for letting us know. Good that you have found a workaround. Is that the host file on your B&R server?

Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...

Veeam Logoby lukaszh » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:15 am

Yes, it's hosts file on B&R server.
lukaszh
Novice

Veeam Logoby Ctek » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:05 pm

Hi,

Thread revival, I just hit the same issue for a specific scenario, about a cross-domain replication.

Both environments have the proper firewalling, DNS conditional forwarding set, etc.

I have a VBR server in domain 1, named domain1.local, I want to replicate VMs in cluster.domain2.local. When I add the cluster configuration in veeam, it recognize the cluster and resolves it, but when on the next page it wants to deploy the agents, it does not resolve each hosts because it does not use the FQDN, just the short hostname which goes nowhere.

I was able to mitigate this temporarily by adding the servers in the domain1.local DNS server zone, and it works perfectly now, but I feel dirty by doing this.

Is there a reason why Veeam does not use FQDN across all cluster objects/nodes when it's set to use it when you specifically use it when adding the cluster in the first place?

Dan
VMCE 9 Certified - Systems Administrator
Ctek
Service Provider

Liked: 8 times

Veeam Logoby Jan1987 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:04 am 1 person likes this post

Hello

I have the same problem and a Case open: 03027803

The problem seems to be that the cluster nodes are read only as a shortname and when the FailOver Cluster is in another Network/Domain. i think Veeam use the Get-ClusterNode command which only outputs the shortname. All Other Computers or Server works great with the AD scan.

Add a DNS entry to the AD from VBR Server is not a nice solution. the advantage of the AD query is that every new node is automatically detected and the agent can be installed.

is a solution planned for this problem?

Best Regards,
Jan Grimm
Jan1987
Service Provider

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jan Grimm

Veeam Logoby wolfgang » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:51 pm

Jan1987 wrote:Hello

I have the same problem and a Case open: 03027803

The problem seems to be that the cluster nodes are read only as a shortname and when the FailOver Cluster is in another Network/Domain. i think Veeam use the Get-ClusterNode command which only outputs the shortname. All Other Computers or Server works great with the AD scan.

Add a DNS entry to the AD from VBR Server is not a nice solution. the advantage of the AD query is that every new node is automatically detected and the agent can be installed.

is a solution planned for this problem?

Best Regards,
Jan Grimm

I have the same problem in our environment. I selected the Cluster object from another Domain and Veeam is not resolving the IP-Addresses of the Cluster-Members.
I'd be happy about any fix for that!

Regards
Wolfgang
wolfgang
Novice

Full Name: Wolfgang Voigt

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:50 am

Hi Wolfgang,

The previous poster had an issue with his DNS and needed to add CNAME's to the DNS server table. If this is not your case, then please create a support call also and post the case ID (and eventual outcome) here also

Thanks
Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby wolfgang » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:25 am

Mike Resseler wrote:Hi Wolfgang,

The previous poster had an issue with his DNS and needed to add CNAME's to the DNS server table. If this is not your case, then please create a support call also and post the case ID (and eventual outcome) here also

Thanks
Mike

Hi Mike,
I have not yet created a call because I thought that maybe the poster could tell me what was the solution in his case.

For me it sounds like the same problem:
Veeam server is in domain A, the servers and the cluster in domain B.
The cluster-object from domain B is added trough Active-Directory -> FQDN of the cluster is shown in the computers-list.
When rescanning the group, the resolval of the hostnames fails, because they are listed in their short variant which the veeam Server tries to resolve with his DNS in his own domain.
This will fail, because the Servers don't exist in domain A, where the veeam Server is located.

Sure I could add a CNAME in our DNS. But like the poster before me said I think, a better solution would be to also use the FQDN for Cluster-members because adding CNAME's wouldn't work for newly added servers in the AD automatically.

Regards
Wolfgang
wolfgang
Novice

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:35 am

Wolfgang,

I will talk to the DEV's to see what their thoughts are. In the meantime, I'm afraid the CNAME's is the only solution for now. Can you try to see if it works in your environment? It might also be a different issue and then we need to involve support

Cheers
Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby wolfgang » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:53 am

Hi Mike,

adding a CNAME works for me, but it is really not a nice solution.
I think mechanism how veeam is adding the cluster nodes (while scanning) to the list should be tweaked. If they would be added with FQDN the problem wouldn't exist.

Regards
Wolfgang
wolfgang
Novice

Return to Microsoft Hyper-V