Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
AndrazOSA
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Andraz Kopac

Continue backup chains on a new HyperV cluster

Post by AndrazOSA »

We lost all hosts and had to create new HyperV cluster. But the VM storage location is the same and all VMs were imported without ID change to the new cluster in the same domain.
Veeam backup server is also the same and contains backup chains and backup copy chains for those VMs from old cluster.

What is the optimal procedure to keep Veeam backup jobs / chains? Preferable continue incremental chains - without full backups. It is difficult to start all new chains because of space restrictions for backup in this case.

I also opened a case yesterday but haven't received a response yet.
Case #04988317

Any ideas how to proceede are welcome. Thank you!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Continue backup chains on a new HyperV cluster

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hi Andraz,

I'd suggest to ask our support engineers to make sure that IDs are preserved, for example it makes sense to compare IDs from debug logs with the actual ones obtained from the hypervisor. If Veeam refers to an object using the same ID, incremental chain will be continued.

Thanks!
cfaller
Lurker

Post by cfaller »

Were there any updates or outcomes ? interested in how the UUID's directly affected the backups.
AndrazOSA
Lurker
Full Name: Andraz Kopac

Post by AndrazOSA »

I ended up starting new chains. Our HyperV cluster was not exactly the same, so support told me that there's little chance I would be able to convince Veeam that the VMs are the same. When I tested with one VM, the result was a new VM in the backup chain with the same name. Even if I somehow convinced it that the VM is the same, it would still do a full backup, because CBT / changed blocked would not transfer or even worse - there's a chance of corruption if CBT information would not be perfectly transferred.
So... We moved around some backups and made some archive drives and started fresh chains (daily and for longer archives).

As for your original question, I did not get the answer how UUID's change / stay the same. If we would recover old cluster, then maybe UUID's would stay, but we made a new cluster - so this is a confirmed factor.

BR, Andraž