Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Juraj22
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Juraj Vantuch

Create backup of VM with entire disk(vhdisk)

Post by Juraj22 »

Hello,
i am quite new in Veem Backup and rep. enviroment and now i am testing some features. In my LAB i have one physical server(win swerver 2012r2), where is running HyperV and 1 virtual machine windows 10.
I have been testing backups and replications also and i am little bit confused about one thing. When i have done full backup of VM(this windows 10) and then i restored it(with another ID and name, like new copy of machine) it still use the same disk like first machine. So in result i have 2 machine, Client1 and Client2. Client 2 has own machine files, but disk is the same.
So my question is: Is it possible to restore this machine, like new VM but also with own copy of disk from backup? Or this is done by replication? But when i do replication, this machine is automatically added to hypervisor.
I am asking for scenario, where:
1.I have one VM1
2. i do a backup of VM1
3. i completly delete this machine with disk and everything
4.i will restore this entire machine from backup, also with disk
Maybe i am wrong and i do something not right, but i will be happy for every advice.

Thanks a lot for everything.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Create backup of VM with entire disk(vhdisk)

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

If you are new to Veeam, I always recommend the quick start guide
it still use the same disk like first machine
this sounds wrong, actually impossible :-) Please check with support and post the case number. A VM restored to a new location has its own disk in a different path.

Best regards,
Hannes