Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
rlspeeks
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Rebecca Speeks

Enterprise Manager

Post by rlspeeks »

Is there any documentation at all explaining how to uninstall and reinstall Enterprise Manager and keep the existing database so you do not lose the settings you had?
In the Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager Guide, there are certainly instructions for how to install and how to uninstall, but what if you are reinstalling? I'm asking b/c I had a support case that I had to jump through hoops to rename the existing database, uninstall, reinstall, create a "new" database, use dbconfig to point to the "old" database I was using.
Why couldn't I just have used the setting to use an existing instance during installation?
If a Microsoft SQL Server is already installed locally or remotely, select the Use existing instance of SQL Server option. Enter the instance name in the HOSTNAME\INSTANCE format. In the Database field, specify a name for the Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager configuration database.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Enterprise Manager

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Rebecca.
- By uninstalling Veeam products you do not lose it's databases from used SQL Server. We leave them in place, so if you need to reinstall, Just Do It!(c).
- Sorry that case took you a long path, however support cases are specific to the issue and sometimes(like in your case) it might be required to recreate database from the scratch - so following support engineer guidance is the way to go, even if there could be obvious shortcuts. It has nothing to do with officially supported "install and point to existing database" way.
/Thanks!
rlspeeks
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Rebecca Speeks

Post by rlspeeks »

Hello Egor,
I appreciate your response, however, I guess I'm just extremely disappointed in the way this support case was handled. I was given all kinds of wrong information about how to do this when it seems pretty simple, cut and dry. (That's if you're just using the "existing database" option) If you'd like, here's the case # 04277435. I've been happy thus far with Veeam support, but this case has me second guessing.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 1 person likes this post

Thanks for the case ID!
I will pass your feedback up for investigation and hope you won't get stressed with the future Support contacts!
By the way, note for the future, that if you aren't satisfied with the way support team handles the case, you can always request a "Talk with Manager" under my.veeam.com
/Cheers!