Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
beepboop
Novice
Liked: never

Exchange 2010 and SQL Application-Aware backup

Post by beepboop »

Hey Guys,

We do have an Exchange 2010 VM that is backed up by Veeam, just wanted to confirm it is being backed up as application-aware + logs are in place in case of a restore (Application-Aware is ticked, same with truncated logs)

VSS writer says all is okay and stable, Get-MailboxDatabase has blank space for each "Last Full backup" and any other backup related field. When I go to Event Viewer (VM) -> Windows ->Application and set VSS as source, nothing shows up.

Other question is we want to use Veeam for SQL aware backups, from my understanding is we need to allow account that does backup the sysadmin role in SQL and from there it does it's magic (backups up DB and logs - like native SQL job?)

Sincerely
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Exchange 2010 and SQL Application-Aware backup

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Beepboop,

First: Welcome to the forums.

I am not sure what you ask for the exchange part? When you use the Veeam explorer for exchange, can you recover single items?

For SQL: Correct. The exact permissions can be found here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95
Note that is doesn't have to be the user that does the backup, but the user that does the guest processing