Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
ta_yoshizumi
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Failed restore to EC2

Post by ta_yoshizumi »

Hello all,

Restore to EC2 fails.
I have opened a case for this issue, but I have posted it on the forum because it has not been resolved.
Case # 03992126

Restore machine's OS:Windows 2012R2

Restore to EC2 fails with the following error.

Code: Select all

2020/02/05 12:33:56 Error    Importing VM Error: Failed to import machine to Amazon EC2: FirstBootFailure: This import request failed because the instance failed to boot and establish network connectivity.
2020/02/05 12:33:57 Error    Restore job failed Error: Failed to import machine to Amazon EC2: FirstBootFailure: This import request failed because the instance failed to boot and establish network connectivity.
The support team responded that this error could be caused by anti-virus software.

However, in this environment, restoring the same VM in September 2019 has been successful successfully. Also restore wizard's settings are the same and no changes have been made to the VM.

In addition, this time I asked them to disabled the anti-virus software, the disabled VM was backed up, and Restore to EC2 was performed from that restore point. As a result, the restore failed with the same error.

Please let me know the other possible causes and solution.

Thank you for reading.

Best regards,
Takayuki Yoshizumi
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Failed restore to EC2

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
As far as I see, the case is going on within the SLAs and only a few days old (including weekend). It's hard to guess the reason. So I recommend to continue working with support. If things do not go well, you can escalate the case ("talk to manager" in my.veeam.com)

To eliminate the risk that anti-virus is the cause: I would clone the machine and remove anti virus and all other security products and try again (that's what support already asked you to do). By cloning, you don't need to ask the customer.

If this also does not work: try a clean machine.

I also did not see an answer whether the machine recovery to a local hypervisor works.

I have also seen situations in my tests, where restore of the same machine worked one day and failed on another day. Welcome to the cloud :-)

Best regards,
Hannes
ta_yoshizumi
Enthusiast

Post by ta_yoshizumi »

Hi,

I asked our customer to do clone the machine and remove anti virus and all other security products and try again.
Also asked them to do restore to local hypervisor.

With updated information to Support, there is one VM in your Hyper-V environment, occupying all physical machine resources.
As a result, customers replied that they could not create a clone or restore to a local hypervisor.

If they can not do what we need to do the investigation, Veeam support will not be able to investigate and I tell them contact to AWS, but please let me know if you have the other suggestion in this case.

Best Regards,
Takayuki
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
sorry, nothing to add from my side: "It's hard to guess the reason"

Maybe others have ideas. But without a chance for troubleshooting, it's complicated.

Best regards,
Hannes
danielbastos
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Daniel Bastos

Post by danielbastos »

'm experiencing the same error.

Windows Server 2012 R2, Hyper V, AWS, and Veeam 9.5U4.

I tried to restore 3 VMS, and all show the error.

The VM is fully copied. I can attach the disk to an instance, but the network drivers are not injected in VM, and there are no network adapters to connect to the network.

The machine boots but there no connection with the network.

:(
shoubana
Expert
Full Name: Sho Ubana

Post by shoubana » 1 person likes this post

Hello Everyone,
I faced same issue, and I solved this.

In my case, my VM had been installed with evaluation media.
There are no mention directly, but "Standard" and "Standard Evaluation" might be different.
https://docs.aws.amazon.com/vm-import/l ... ereqs.html

As far as I remember, I could restore evaluation OS to EC2 directly in last year.
But recently it seems it doesn't work.
AWS behavior might be changed before we know.

For solve this issue, below tool was helpful.
https://kb.msp360.com/cloud-vendors/ama ... y-with-ec2

I hope it help you.

Thanks,
Sho
rekha.nadesan
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Rekha Nadesan

Post by rekha.nadesan »

Hi,

I have a case 07109867 and it is still unresolved, this is quite critical for us and posting here for any better solutions

I am trying to restore a VM to AWS EC2 which is basically an active directory domain controller . At the stage of vmimport, progress shows at 39% and gets stuck for around 2 hrs and then fails with error as FirstBootFailure: This import request failed because the instance failed to boot and establish network connectivity."

This happens only to domain controllers. Rest of the servers can be successfully restored. All the VMs have AV [ Sentinel One] installed. Inorder to isolate the issue, tried uninstalling AV from one DC and restore that backup. But still it fails. I followed the https://docs.aws.amazon.com/vm-import/l ... oting.html with AWS support engineer and ensured that we have verified all the settings.

This is quite disappointing and it is the first time we are trying restoration of a domain controller. Any help will be much appreciated.