Discussions specific to the Microsoft Hyper-V hypervisor
Easy-Works
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Dan

[RESOLVED] Failed to connect Hyper-V standalone

Post by Easy-Works »

Case #03723259

I'm getting failed to connect to host LANIP Access Denied or timeout expired.
Check if you have local administrator privileges on computer LANIP.
Possible reasons:
1. Invalid Credentials.
2. Specified host is not a Hyper-V server.

The scenario I have is a Windows Server 2012R2 Standard running Hyper-V (not attached to a domain). I have VM setup with Server 2016 Standard that I've installed Veeam Backup and Replication Community Edition. After I open VBR go to backup infrastructure > add server > Microsoft Hyper-V > Hyper-V then It ask for the DNS name or IP which I input the LANIP > Choose Microsoft Hyper-V server (Standalone) > added the administrator credentials for the Hyper-V Host 2012R2 (i've tried both servername\administrator and just administrator) but i get the error above. I've tried turning off the windows firewall but still get the same message. I don't have to install a Veeam agent on the Hyper-V host do i? Side note at 1 time there was a hyper-V management or something like that in the programs/features on the Host which I uninstalled hoping maybe that was the issue and it would just re-add it.

terike
Lurker

Re: [RESOLVED] Failed to connect Hyper-V standalone

Post by terike »

I have the same issue - how did you solve it?

wishr
Veeam Software
Liked: 186 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Terike,

Welcome to Veeam Community Forums and thanks for posting.

The original issue has been resolved by disabling UAC on the server and rebooting it because it was not joined the domain.

Thanks

annc
Lurker

[MERGED] Failed to add Hyper-V host - Win2k19

Post by annc »

Support case ID: 03882994

Hi,

Clean install of:
- physical machine - Windows 2019 Standard, standalone (non-domain), for Hyper-V Virtualization with Hyper-V role installed
- VM (Hyper-V) - Windows 2019 Standard, standalone (non-domain) - for Veeam Community, latest version
- VM (MSSQL 2016) - Windows 2019 Standard, standalone (non-domain) - for DBs, also for Veeam's DB
- many other Windows & Linux VMs running on Hyper-V

I'm trying to add physical machine (with Hyper-V role and many VMs) to Veeam Managed Servers, and it fails with error:

"Failed to connect to host XXX. Access denied or timeout expired. Check if you have local administrator privileges on computer XXX. Possible reasons: 1. Invalid credentials, 2. Specified host is not a Hyper-V Server".

No matter which account I use (local "Administrator" or other user with Administrator rights). It fails using IP address and hostname as well (which is resolved for example by ping). Windows Firewall is disabled.

When I try add that same macihne as a standard Windows host (non Microsoft Hyper-V) - it works without any problem.

Veeam Community Edition is latest version, all of the Windows system are up-to-date (Windows Update done).
Polish version of Windowses (I don't know is it matter or not)

What I'm doing wrong and what should I do?

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1716 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Please review the thread above, should give you a hint.

annc
Lurker

Post by annc »

Disabling UAC is very weird. This security option, build in each version of Windows should be always enable. Do you mean that Veeam works only on hosts with disabled UAC?

Thanks god I didn't bought full license yet. In my opinion - it's huge security hole. Thanks for help - I'm looking for other software, which doesn't need such weird things.

wishr
Veeam Software
Liked: 186 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Annc,

Please let me clarify. The use of local accounts for remote access is a huge security hole itself. That's why UAC blocks such remote connections by default starting from ~2010s or maybe even earlier. It's not about Veeam or our inability to support some technology - it's about Windows OS security concepts and how they are implemented on the OS and environment layers.

If you would like to start moving towards securing your environment I'd suggest the following:
1. Put your Hyper-V servers and other important infra onto a domain;
2. Consider using LAPS or disable remote access for local accounts completely;
3. Move B&R server off the domain, configure the repository to go offline when not in use;
4. Follow the 3-2-1 rule.

Hope it makes sense. Thanks.

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1716 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I'd also add that this is actually not a Veeam-specific but a general remote WMI connection specific issue, so you will hardly find another software that will work as you expect with this setup. If the server was in the domain and a built-in domain administrator account was used (which is exempt from UAC), you wouldn't have encountered any issues.

Here's another reading on that.

nmdange
Expert
Liked: 126 times

Post by nmdange » 1 person likes this post

Disabling UAC on servers is not unusual, see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... ows-server

Also UAC doesn't even exist on Server Core, so following Microsoft's recommendation to run Hyper-V on Core means you wouldn't be able to enable UAC even if you wanted to.