Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Helmut72
Novice
Liked: never

Failed to resolve path to user folder

Post by Helmut72 »

Hi,

Case #04714204

Running Veeam Backup & Replication Community Edition 11 on Windows Server 2016.

The backup of the host itself completes with warnings:

22.03.2021 01:27:26 :: Unable to process [Desktop]: failed to resolve path to the user folder [DFS network path to Desktop]
22.03.2021 01:27:26 :: Unable to process [Documents]: failed to resolve path to the user folder [DFS network path to My Documents]
22.03.2021 01:27:26 :: Unable to process [Pictures]: failed to resolve path to the user folder [DFS network path to My Pictures]
22.03.2021 01:27:26 :: Unable to process [Video]: failed to resolve path to the user folder [DFS network path to My Videos]
22.03.2021 01:27:26 :: Unable to process [Music]: failed to resolve path to the user folder [DFS network path to My Music]

The folders are redirected to a network location and of course reachable.

I remember reading about the same issue with version 9 but cannot find the solution anymore.

Thank you!
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Re: Failed to resolve path to user folder

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hi,

you've already checked firewall/open ports/access with the set account, right?
Could not find the thread about v9 you are talking about.

It's hard to guess without the logs (which is usually done by Support).
Just a suggestion - does ping by the hostname (and IP) work for this network location?

Thanks!
mikeg5
Influencer

Post by mikeg5 »

I am also receiving this error when backing up a Windows 10 Pro workstation with those folders being redirected to a SMB mounted user home. I await feedback from Veeam and would be willing to provide logs if needed.

Thanks
nikolaj
Expert
Liked: 57 times

Post by nikolaj »

Hi mikeg5,

I'd recommend submitting a support ticket since analysing your environment probably requires investigation efforts.
Have you tried troubleshooting those DFSN resolution issues with native OS tools?
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran

Hi @@mikeg5,

May I ask you to provide your Support case ID?
Support engineers can analyze your logs and help with technical issues(usually we do not share the logs and work with technical issues on forums).

Thanks!
mikeg5
Influencer

Post by mikeg5 »

@Natalia Lupacheva I don't have a support case open and sorry for the very long delay, low priority up until now. What information do you need from me? This is happening when a folder is being redirected from a local folder to a SMB share hosted on a SAN. Let me know if you require additional info.

Thanks
nikolaj
Expert
Liked: 57 times

Post by nikolaj »

Hi mikeg5,

Please refer to this article in order to submit a support case.
You should provide all relevant data about regarding your environment as well as a detailed description of the issue that you are currently facing.
Our support team will then request all the information they need to conduct the investigation.

Thanks.
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran

Hi @mikeg5,

Sorry for a delay. Speaking of a support case - its ID is always required when you post a technical issue according to the forum rules.
We cannot post and analyse logs here on public forums and that's why all technical issues should be reported and the case ID should be shared.
It's really hard to guess what's happened without the logs and that's another reason to open a Support case.

Thanks!
mikeg5
Influencer

Post by mikeg5 »

Case #04942386
mikeg5
Influencer

Post by mikeg5 »

So you asked me to open a case and then the case was instantly closed without any update?
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran

Hello Mike,

Unfortunately, the case was opened for the free product, and support for the free products is provided on a best effort basis.
Also, we cannot solve technical issues here on public forums due to the forum rules and because such issues require the logs analysis and we cannot post your logs in public.

You've already checked the suggested basic things like firewall/open ports/etc?

Thank you!
Helmut72
Novice

Post by Helmut72 »

My ticket (04714204) was also closed without further notice. Too bad that Veeam doesn't seem to be interested in solving this. I'm currently using Veeam Backup & Replication 11.0.1.1261 and the issue still exists.