Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

Failed to update license key on backup server

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

Hi guys,

I am trying to open a ticket but having issues with this. It says "Your login is not currently a License or Case Administrator for this Support ID, please contact your License Administrator."

When I log in as myself (rather than the client), it then says there is no licence associated with that client, which is not true, the client's licence has support until 6 October 2022. I can't seem to get a hold of Veeam Sales, the phone number is redirecting to Veeam Support, which then asks me for a case number, which I can't generate until I get Veeam Sales to fix the licence issue.

Anyway, the issue is that I'm getting emails with this (below) in them, but when I look at the backup server the licence seems to be correct and working correctly if I try to manually update the licence with the Update Now button. The version is B&R 10.0.1.4854. We tried to update to Veeam B&R 11 a couple months back but the install failed.

Failed to update license key on backup server BACKUPSERVERNAME:
Invalid answer received from https://vbr.butler.veeam.com: possible proxy server configuration issues.

We don't have a proxy server so this error is a little odd. We saw this once a year ago, but now it seems to happen once a fortnight.

Any other reasons why this error would be intermittantly happening now?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Failed to update license key on backup server

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Alex

What happens, if the customer does the login with his license administrator account?
Someone must have access. If you don't know the customers license admin account, you can open a new account with the clients mail domain, and create a license case to transfer the license admin to the new account:

For the issue, it states that there is a connection issue between the VBR server and the license Server on our Site. I can ask my contacts if we have any issues, but if we would have, I had find other cases about it. Nothing so far.

My recommendation:
1) Get Access to the license Admin Account with the customers login
  • Do the takeover if the license admin account is unknown
  • If the license admin account is know, but you don't have a passwort, do a passwort reset or create a veeam account with the mail address of the license admin
2) Add your self again as a Support Case Admin
3) Create the Support Case

Can you also check under which user account the veeam services are running? Do they run under LOCAL SYSTEM or a specific account?
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

Hi Mildur,

Thanks for your reply. I should have been more clear, the first attempt was with the client's login, the second attempt was as myself.

This is what my client sees, they are the only account holder for the company:

When I try to do it, and I should be both the Licence and Case Administrator, I can use the dropdown under "I need support for" and see the client, but when I do so I was getting the error "there is no licence associated with that client". Annoyingly I've just done it now using my account and it works fine so *that* issue has been resolved.

I have opened Ticket #05445490

I have checked the services, and it says they all run under "Local System".
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Alex

Thanks for the Case. Can you upload a log bundle for the case engineer?
I assume, that will be the first question he will ask.
https://www.veeam.com/kb1832

If your client's only Account isn't the license Administrator, I still recommend to use or create a second account with the client's mail domain and do the license takeover to this account in a separate case.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software