Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
cfortenbery
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Curt Fortenbery

Failover with Veeam for Hyper-V and SCVMM

Post by cfortenbery »

I am wondering how to properly do a failover plan where Veeam for Hyper-V is using System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM) as the Hyper-V host. The Veeam server is using the default SQL express, but the SCVMM server (which is a Hyper-V virtual machine) is using a remote SQL Server (also a Hyper-V virtual machine).

So in a failover situation, in order to failover to the replicas, will the SCVMM server and the SQL server it uses for the SCVMM database need to be manually powered on in order for Veeam to failover the remaining VMs?

Or will the Veeam server communicate directly with the Hyper-V hosts to power on the VMs and flag that the VM is in failover mode within Veeam?

What happens if I try to failover to a replica that is already powered on? Will it be flagged being in failover mode or will the failover fail with an error?

Unfortunately I do not have a lab environment to test this on.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Failover with Veeam for Hyper-V and SCVMM

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

Hi cfortenbery,

First: Welcome to the forums
Second: When you loose SCVMM in the case of a disaster, and you just want to start your replica's, it won't be a problem. SCVMM is used to track movement of VMs, do inventory and so on, but in the end, when you need to do a restore, we will talk straight to the host.