Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
elwood
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Eliot Wood

FLR Network question - B&R to Hyper-V Guest

Post by elwood »

I'm struggling to locate any firm documentation on how the FLR restore to original location process works in a Hyper-V based environment. Most of my searches lead me to VMware documents where VIX, VMtools and vPower NFS are used to assist the process.

The environment is a multi-tenant, with the Veeam backup network sitting behind it's own firewall with access to the hypervisor layer.
An interface from the firewall is connected to client firewalls, and within their own network sits a GIP to allow the application aware backup. This all works fine.
The connection currently is a NAT rule to allow all of the pre-requisite GIP ports between the two networks redirected to the endpoint of the GIP appliance.

What's missing is a firm indication of how to set it up to allow files to be restored directly to the original VM - without breaching network security of course.
Can anyone guide me to an explanation as to the exact options for Hyper-V ?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: FLR Network question - B&R to Hyper-V Guest

Post by veremin »

During file restore from non FAT, NTFS, REFS file systems, we deploy a helper appliance and mount disks of backed up VM to it, then, we start a file browser, using which you can restore or copy needed files. More information regarding this process can be found here.

As to ports needed to be open, check Proxy Appliance (Multi-OS FLR) Connections section.