Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
vulquin
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: christophe toussaint

Good practice

Post by vulquin »

Hi,

I have a 1 physical server with 2 VMs, do I install VEEAM on the physical server or on a VM ?

I need to create a VM dedicated only to VEEAM ?

Thank you
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Good practice

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Christophe!
For just 2 machines you can use Veeam Agent for Windows Free edition, which will not require Veeam Backup and Replication management server to be present.
However, as infrastructure grows and for production level of support, you will need to introduce VB&R server - and for that, VM installation will be a fine choice. In hardcore resources limits it is not mandatory to have a dedicated server specifically for Veeam, and you can install our product on an existing server, although it is a good idea to isolate backup services from production workloads.
/Cheers!
vulquin
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: christophe toussaint

Post by vulquin »

Hi Egor,

Thank you very much for your advice.
Net Runner
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Post by Net Runner »

It is a good practice having VEEAM service running isolated from the hypervisor. This is actually true for any service or role since one of the main benefits of virtualization is the ability to replace hardware and/or hypervisor in the shortest periods of time without the need to reinstall or reconfigure anything else.

Thus as already mentioned above in case you are limited in resources, you might place VEEAM directly on a physical server but while you grow plan to move VEEAM to a separate VM foremost.