Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
KevCar87
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Kevin Carpenter

Guest Credentials not working

Post by KevCar87 »

I installed Version 11 on a Hyper-V 2012 R2 server. Had a few issues. SQL Express would not install correctly. Had to install it separate and then install Veeam and use that Instance. Everything else went fine. Did a backup of all the VM's. Then, went in to try and enable Guest Processing and enable application-aware processing. But the credentials I am using does not work. The Hyper-V server is a standalone. The VM's are part of a domain. Lets say that the Domain is Test.local. I have tried using every combo. Test\User, User, and User@test.local. I am able to access the VM's Admin$ share using these credentials. I also went and added these credentials to the VM's individually. Still says its unable to connect. This is not my first Veeam install. I have even disabled the Windows Firewall on the VM's, still doesn't work. I have created a new Domain Admin and tried that login as well. Still does not work. I am at a loss as to why it can't connect. I am backing up SQL and Exchange. Do I need to have this enabled to begin with? The Hyper-V is in a different network than the VM's. But again, I am able to connect to the VM's using these credentials from the Hyper-V server. I am trying to replace the current backup software with Veeam CE. That software doesn't require direct connection to the VM's so I am guessing that the application aware processing is just and extra piece of software installed on the VM's to make sure everything is good in backing up these services? No indication that AV is blocking anything as well. Anyone have any thoughts on what might be wrong?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Guest Credentials not working

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Kevin

When posting technical issue, it is required to refer to support case ID(as stated when you click New Topic). Please do so, otherwise such posts will get removed by moderators.

As for your problem(its hard to say without the logs for sure), but judging your description I would say give it a shot to check restrictions caused by LocalAccountTokenFilerPolicy regkey. It is yet another way Microsoft increases system security and a common case for connections to fail with 100% guaranteed right credentials and disabled firewall when connecting between domain\non-domain systems.

/Thanks!
KevCar87
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Kevin Carpenter

Post by KevCar87 »

Understood. Thanks
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Post by soncscy »

KevCar87 wrote: Feb 28, 2022 5:22 pm That software doesn't require direct connection to the VM's so I am guessing that the application aware processing is just and extra piece of software installed on the VM's to make sure everything is good in backing up these services? No indication that AV is blocking anything as well. Anyone have any thoughts on what might be wrong?
'

This isn't quite accurate. Application Aware Processing ensures the data is consistent - without AAIP, it's like booting the machine after a power outage; you have no idea what the state of the data is. With AAIP, the data is guaranteed consistent via VSS.

One of the things I've noticed is that a connection to the Admin Share isn't always guaranteed that the rest is fine, as it's not just accessing, it's copying data to it and also executing processes from that share under a specific account -- can you validate that the same account can do all of the above?

There's a lot of complexity for a relatively simple process of just loading some files, but I think that if I remember right a service even gets loaded in the guest to add to the VSS processing. So just access to the share isn't enough.