Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
pvr2002
Influencer
Liked: never

Help setting up job/jobs for backup/replica cloud/nas

Post by pvr2002 »

Currently we have Veeam installed on HOST2 and utilize 3 replica jobs throughout the day to replicate VMs from HOST1 to HOST2 and it works perfectly.

I'm looking to retire our old backup software and replace with Veeam but am looking for help to setup the jobs correctly. I'm looking for something along the lines of:
3 Different repositories
- Replicas - HOST2 local storage (store 3 days worth of replicas)
- Backup - Synology ISCSI (store multiple years of backups in a GFS type manor)
- Cloud - Veeam Cloud Provider (store 30 days worth)
Backups are taken at least once a day (some servers will require 2 or more) and are stored in the BACKUP repository
Once a day, Current backups (<30 days) are copied to the Cloud repository (as well as remain in the Backup Repository)
Replicas are available daily (or multiple times a day) in the Replica repository

I believe I need to start with backup jobs that run throughout the day (when I want replicas created) and then create a replica job that uses the BACKUP repository as a source.
From there, What's the best method to add in copying only a subset of backups into a cloud provider (and purging old ones) as well as storing the backups in a GFS type rotation on a NAS repository?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Help setting up job/jobs for backup/replica cloud/nas

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
Currently we have Veeam installed on HOST2
it's not recommended to install applications in the Hyper-V root partition. I recommend installing Veeam into VM

yes, backup jobs first in GFS mode.
and then create a replica job that uses the BACKUP repository as a source.
I would keep it simple and stay with the normal replica you have today.

last but not least: backup copy job to the cloud provider from the backup jobs. I suggest to design the backup jobs in a way, that you can just take them 1:1 as sources for the backup copy job (you can make exclusions). And use the immediate copy mode. It's easier to understand :-)

Best regards,
Hannes