Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
jhowlett
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: James Howlett

Hyper-V surebackup issues

Post by jhowlett »

Hi All,

I am trying to setup a Virtual Lab to run Surebackup on my B&R server, I have HyperV installed and lots of drive space to use but when I try and setup a New Virtual Lab I cannot see the Local HyperV server.

We run a HyperV cluster on seperate resource which I can see and I could select a host in the cluster but we want this Virtual Lab to be seperate from that resource.

Is there any reason why this server would not appear in the search box wizard, or any other standa alone HyperV servers which are on the network for that matter?

Cheers

James
jhowlett
Influencer

Re: Hyper-V surebackup issues

Post by jhowlett »

Im guessing by the silence nobody has had this issue?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I cannot see the Local HyperV
you mean you want to do instant recovery (SureBackup is based on instant recovery) to the server where VBR is running on? I can remember that this does not work (Hyper-V limitation).
or any other standa alone HyperV servers which are on the network
other standalone Hyper-V hosts that are added ad Hyper-V servers to VBR must be selectable. If not, please open a case and post the case number here for reference.

Best regards,
Hannes
jhowlett
Influencer

Post by jhowlett »

I have figured it out, You have to register the hyperV server in B&R before you can see it to then be included as a Sure Backup resource.

Perhaps the documentation needs to reflect this as you cannot add any un-registered servers as the GUI will just be greyed out.
jhowlett
Influencer

Post by jhowlett »

I have setup a Sure Backup job and ran the Application Group with a single host and apart from not being able to get the ping test as the Virtual Lab was on a private network for safety, everything else seemed to work.

I just had to make up a seperate virtual switch for Sure Backup to use rather than the default Veeam B+R server virtual switch.