Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
ITMHelps
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: IT Mothership

Is there any way to tell Veeam Recreated VMX file is the same VM?

Post by ITMHelps »

After I updated the VM version from 5 to 9 I had to recreate the .vmcx's for two machines but the .vhdx's were fine. These were, of course, the two largest servers we have here. Now Veeam doesn't see them as the "Same server" is there any way to tell Veeam that it is the same server? I guess I'm asking if there is any way to find/remap it's GUID (or whatever it's called for VM's). I am hoping to avoid creating new full's and almost more importantly needing to avoid resyncing the 2TB over to cloudconnect over our 25Mbps line. Everyone is connecting remotely so we can't really spare the bandwidth being saturated with replication traffic.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Is there any way to tell Veeam Recreated VMX file is the same VM?

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

I'm afraid that there are no available workarounds because the edited VMs are completely new objects from Veeam perspective as long as their references (GUIDs) have been changed.

Thanks!
ITMHelps
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: IT Mothership

Re: Is there any way to tell Veeam Recreated VMX file is the same VM?

Post by ITMHelps » 1 person likes this post

I'll bite the bullet and send it over the weekend. I sure do wish there were a remapping tool of some sort though.I appreciate your response and info, thank you for letting me know.