Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

max IOPS over 1GB network without RDMA

Post by frankive »

Not a Veeam question, but if you know the answer I would be glad.. :)

What is the max. IOPS an 1 GB network card give? I know the throughput is 125 Mbit/S, but what about the IOPS?
A customer is running a hp lefthand san with 2X1 Gbit a 9X10K drives SAS.
They are not even near to leverange the bandwith but they have some intense IOPS on their databases and their engineer think its due to the IOPS at around 300.
With replacing SSD drives in Raid10 and STILL use the 1Gb network, where does the ethernet max out the IOPS limit?

Thanks!
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: max IOPS over 1GB network without RDMA

Post by PTide »

Hi,
What is the max. IOPS an 1 GB network card give? I know the throughput is 125 Mbit/S, but what about the IOPS?
Sorry, I'm not sure I'm following you...The thing is that IOPS is a characteristic that describes a storage device's capability of performing IO operations. 1Gbit card can send a stream of 1 billion bits per second, which means that if you have some fancy protocol that takes 500mil. bits to send a single I/O command then your 1Gbit link can serve 2 I/Os per second. Also you cannot just say "we have 300 IOPS" - there are such things as block size, read/write ratio etc.

Thank you.
NetWise
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Avram Woroch

Post by NetWise » 1 person likes this post

IOPS via network is largely a function of block size divided into bandwidth. 1gbit is about 125MB/sec (not Mbit as you stated). Divide that by 4KB or whatever your block size is and you get about 32,768. That's the max number of IOPS you could send.

Now things like jumbo frames will affect the efficiency and overhead that reduces the numbers. Collisions, retransmits, etc. But practically you could do into 10-20,000+ IOPS on 1gbit.

300 IOPS is crazy. That's the performance of like 2 15k drives. That's painful. SSD could greatly help this even if on 1gbit.
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Post by frankive » 1 person likes this post

Thanks, excatly what I needed to know! Gotta love this forum..