Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
NaderSanders
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Nader Sanders

Migrate DCs from olt Hyper-V Host to the new one

Post by NaderSanders »

Hi,
we have a Windows Server 2016 based Hyper-V Host with 9 VMs and I want to use Veeam Backup and Replication 11a to migrate all VMs to our new Host with is Windows Server 2022 based.
Therefore, we powered off all VMs and made a replication job for all 9 VMs from 2016 Hyper-V Host to 2022 Hyper-V Host.
Unfortunately, both Domain Controllers (Windows Server 2012 R2 based) have problems after the replication. The AD is in a non-function state.
Now I did some research and there is a value ‘VM-Generation ID’ with change after the migration and make the AD go offline.
What is the exact procedure to migrate a DC from one host to a new one with Veeam, best in powered off state.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2888 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Migrate DCs from olt Hyper-V Host to the new one

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
a VM generation ID change should not break AD. Maybe worth to check with Microsoft support. On the other hand, that operating system is around 10 years old...

Powered off "cloning" causes VM-generation change.

With Veeam, there is application aware processing. That triggers a VSS consistent snapshot which then allows applications with VSS support (e.g. Active Directory) to work fine after restore. It's required that application aware processing is "green". VSS snapshots require a running machine.

Best regards,
Hannes
PS: I would not migrate. I would create a new domain controller on the new server and drop that old 2012R2 system.