Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
ElevenTech
Lurker
Liked: never

Move VM from within Instant Recovery VM

Post by ElevenTech »

Greetings,
I have a backup of a Hyper V host server, and I would like to recover/move a specific VM from back to the production Hyper V host server.

The production host server (hyperv01) was backed up, it had a failure and was rebuilt.
I ran instant recovery in veeam backup and replication and was able to get an vm instance of the original host server (hyperv01) running on the current production host server (hyperv01).

So at this point the current production hyper-v host server (hyperv01) is running a VM called hyperv01, which is the original Hyper-V host prior to failure.

On the original Hyper-V host VM (hyperv01), there is VM called vm01 that I want to recover/move to the production host server (hyperv01)
I was concerned there would be conflicts on the domain, so I never connected the recovered VM to the network.

What would be the recommended way to recover vm01?

I was thinking I would temporarily rename the host server to hyperv01prod, then when I use instant recovery I wouldn't be as worried about brining hyperv01 online (as there wouldn't be a name conflict). Once hyperv01 is online, I'd perform a move on vm01, or copy vm01 to hyperv01prod via a shared network drive.

Am I making too big of a deal out of the server names while the server is in instant recovery mode?

Any help is much appreciated.
Brendon
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2282 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Move VM from within Instant Recovery VM

Post by Mildur »

Hi Brendon

Do I get this right?
You backed up the HyperV server with an agent, and now you have used instant recovery to recover a HyperV server as a VM on a new HyperV server?

With Veeam you backup the VMs, and then do the instant recovery for the VM, not the HyperV server.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
LickABrick
Enthusiast
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Lick A Brick

Post by LickABrick » 1 person likes this post

You could probably restore the VHDX files for VM01 with guest file restore and import the VM on your new Hyper-V host.
But like Mildur said you should add the Hyper-V host to your Veeam server and backup the VM's individually and not the full Hyper-V host.
ElevenTech
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by ElevenTech »

Thanks for your feedback!
Was able to get the server back online using the guest files approach.