Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Lyriclumpclass
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Native Hyper-V replication + Veeam B&R backups

Post by Lyriclumpclass »

We currently have two servers running Hyper-V 2019 server. We have one old(-sh) linux vm that we need to both replicate between these two servers and backup.
The backups (obviously) need to be performed in Veeam B&R, however we are undecided on how to do the replication part.

Assume for all the following that
* We were to use the built-in replication for Hyper-V for both replication and fail-over / failback.
* We were to perform nightly backups of both the active VM and its replica in Veeam B&R

The questions are these.
1. Can Veeam B&R co-exist with the built-in replication for Hyper-V.
2. Presuming (1) is yes, if a built-in replication round were to happen at the same time as a nightly backup, would we have a problem ?
3. I keep hearing the (truism) that the built-in replication for Hyper-V essentially doubles the writes required.
I don't quite understand what is behind this. Is there any article that might explain that ?

All the above aside, I am completely aware that Veeam is the better option for many reasons, but the I can't seem to find any answers on the above..
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Native Hyper-V replication + Veeam B&R backups

Post by HannesK »

Hello,

1. yes, you can back up from the production
2. with 30 seconds, 5 minutes, or 15 minutes interval of Hyper-V replication (as far as I remember), it must work at that that time :-)
3. yep, please use forum search for what we know. For Microsoft architecture, your preferred search engine should find something.

Best regards,
Hannes