Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
daystrom
Expert
Liked: 8 times

New version of veeam backup & replication is so different...

Post by daystrom »

On the server that was just retired we had veeam backup & replication 9.5.0.823 installed and it was an excellent experience. We used the VeeamZIP feature for backups regularly and it saved our skin when a restore was needed.

The new server has veeam backup & replication 9.5 update 4 on it. It is very different, can someone provide guidance?
[1] I am not sure how to specify the backup destination. It defaults to backup proxy "off-host backup (automatic proxy selection)" and backup repository "default backup repository (created by veeam backup)" which somehow it pointed to the G: drive. I need it to backup to H: and have not found a way to do that thanks to the unfamiliar nomenclature.
[2] I don't see the term VeeamZIP anywhere; is that gone or...?
[3] On the bright side, the product now seems to include a scheduling feature. If the backup ends up working like the old veeam used to, having scheduled backups wil fix the primary issue I had with the old veeam backup and replication, that it was hard to get the ps scripts to run correctly.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: New version of veeam backup & replication is so different...

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

It is very different, can someone provide guidance?
not really... some "fresh" buttons, some additional buttons. In general, most things are the same.

[1] same like with 9.5.0.823 (9.5 Update 1). Off-host backup will failover to on-host backup per default. You can change it, but it is not required. You can change the drive by configuring a repository "Direct attached storage" is your H: drive

[2] no changes. please find it here

[3] not sure whether you are talking about normal backups or VeeamZip. Normal backup jobs always had a scheduler.

Are you using the community (formerly free edition) edition? That would explain the changes you mention because the community edition is now a "full blown" standard edition up to 10 instances.

Best regards,
Hannes
daystrom
Expert
Liked: 8 times

Re: New version of veeam backup & replication is so different...

Post by daystrom »

Yes the community version. In fact I meant to ask if I had the same software because the UI was so different. The change from free to community explains a lot. Thank you for your help with this, your clues will help me get it lined up.