Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
JeWe
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times

Offhost Backup with iSCSI

Post by JeWe »

Hi,

I'm new to Veeam, just testing around with it at the moment.

We run several HyperV-VMs on a Netgear ReadyNAS3100 via iSCSI.
Just to make sure I got this right: There is no way to install Offhost Backup as there is no way to connect the HyperV host and the Backup Proxy to the same target?
I would need "real SAN" like Fibre Channel?

Regards
JeWe
Enthusiast

Re: Offsite Backup with iSCSI

Post by JeWe »

Sorry, I'm talking of OFFHOST Backup, not Offsite Backup. The question regards to Offhost Backup.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Offsite Backup with iSCSI

Post by foggy »

JeWe wrote:Just to make sure I got this right: There is no way to install Offsite Backup as there is no way to connect the HyperV host and the Backup Proxy to the same target?
Actually, you can connect multiple hosts to the same iSCSI target. Do you experience any issues during implementing your setup?
JeWe
Enthusiast

Re: Offhost Backup with iSCSI

Post by JeWe »

I can connect multiple hosts to the same iSCSI target? Not really, if I do this, the VMs will crash again and again. The target don't know which initiator requests data, so it works for a while until two initiators grab the same data at the target...
IMHO the SAN must support multiple hosts for the same target. Only thing I can do with the ReadyNAS is putting other LUNs onto the target. Doesn't change anything, as other LUNs present other data...
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Could you please give some details regarding your environment (at least Hyper-V hosts version and type of primary storage)? Thanks.
JeWe
Enthusiast

Post by JeWe »

We have two HyperV hosts 2008R2. VMs run on Netgear ReadyNAS via iSCSI. Every HyperV host has two Gbit-NICs, one for management and one for the VMs Not sure if that is what you mean with "primary storage"?
JeWe
Enthusiast

Post by JeWe » 1 person likes this post

OK, got an answer from Netgear forum this morning:
http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic ... 26&t=69001

Thanks for your help, case closed ;-)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Shared access is never a feature of SAN, but a feature of file system. This is exactly the reason why shared storage in Hyper-V is built on CSV (Cluster Shared Volumes), and not just regular NTFS volumes. CSV provides reservations required for shared access to the same iSCSI target by multiple hosts.

I am a bit confused by the discussion because first you are asking about connecting a host and a backup proxy to the same target (this is fine, as backup proxy does read-only access), but then the discussion switches to connecting multiple hosts to the same target (this requires CSV to manage write access from multiple hosts correctly).

In short, answering your original question, your SAN is very "real" and you can implement anything you want with it.
JeWe
Enthusiast

Post by JeWe »

Thanks for your answer. It wasn't clear to me that read only access makes the difference.