Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
callum.evans
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: callum evans

Offline backup of a large VM

Post by callum.evans »

Hey Everyone,

New to the community and Veeam here.

Just putting up a post to see if I can get some advice on an issue I am having when trying to backup a large VM. The Vm I am looking to backup has an Allocated VHDX of 1.7tb and is using 1.5tb of that space. We are looking to get a backup of this VM but on the host of this VM there is not enough space to do a traditional backup job.

I have been recommended to take an offline backup of the VM. What would be the steps for setting up a backup of a VM while this is powered down? Will this require additional storage space to backuop or take a direct copy from the offline VM? Will this allow me to do incremental backups of the VM going forward or does this only allow for a one time backup?

Any guidance or alternative methods for this will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Callum
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Offline backup of a large VM

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Callum,

Welcome to the Veeam Community forums!
callum.evans wrote:We are looking to get a backup of this VM but on the host of this VM there is not enough space to do a traditional backup job.
Can you please clarify your statement? On a side note, if you want to offload the VSS snapshot you can use the off-host proxy server.
Will this allow me to do incremental backups of the VM going forward or does this only allow for a one time backup?
Once the first backup is complete, the subsequent job run will do an incremental pass.

Thanks!