On-host proxy requires upgrade

Hyper-V specific discussions

On-host proxy requires upgrade

Veeam Logoby jamie2497 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:40 am

Hi All,

I've recently upgraded to Veeam 9 and am getting the following error for Virtual machines located on HV1 "Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: On-host proxy [HV1] requires upgrade before it can be used" I have tried removing the server from VEEAM, uninstalling all veeam transport service etc and re adding so it re installs, restarting the server and the veeam server but still having the same issue.

ID - 01695454

Thanks
jamie2497
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Jamie

Re: On-host proxy requires upgrade

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:52 am

Hi Jamie, if you locate this host under Backup Infrastructure node, does it have an Upgrade (or something else in bold) status? Basically, if re-installing components does not help, deeper logs investigation is required.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1079 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby jamie2497 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:55 am

Hi Foggy,

No the upgrade isn't in bold like I would usually see if some components need upgrading. I've verified that all the services are installed and even manually moved the msi across and installed that way just to confirm it was all correct. VEEAM can read the drives etc it just fails on every VM at that point.

Thanks
jamie2497
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Jamie

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:01 am

Most likely there are some remnants in the registry or in the configuration database, let's wait for a remote WebEx session from our engineer.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1102 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby nefes » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:10 am

Any chance that you have other component on this host, for example, WAN accelerator, and it is not upgraded?
nefes
Veeam Software

Liked: 125 times
Full Name: Nikita Efes

Veeam Logoby DDIT » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:58 am

I have exactly the same problem, although my setup is really fresh:

I am trialing Veeam and started with a fresh install of version 9 (9.0.0.902), on WS2008R2. My host is a fresh install of full GUI, WS2012R2 with Hyper-V. I have a single VM guest, which is also 2012R2. I added the host to the Veeam Console successfully and noticed 3 components installed on my host (Veeam Backup Transport, Veeam Hyper-V Integration, Veeam Installer Service - all 9.0.0.902).

When I created my first job, I added my host and left all other settings as default. When I run the job it fails with error "Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: On-host proxy [VHOST1] requires upgrade before it can be used."

When I look back at the 'Backup Infrastructure' tab, I see my host has been moved to Managed Servers > Microsoft Hyper-V > Unavailable. If I right-click this host the 'upgrade' option is greyed out.

I have an open support case #01709332. The engineer has already asked me to manually uninstall the components, remove the host, re-add the host, reinstall the components, but this did not fix the issue. I have also been advised to install the recommended hotfixes here https://www.veeam.com/kb1838, but only one fix would install (KB3072380) - the others say "not applicable to your computer" when attempting to install - I guess that's because they relate to clustering, which is not what I'm using in my simple setup.

PS: I have a 'standard' trial license, so don't have ability to use WAN acceleration.

Any help advice greatly appreciated as this is eating into my license time.
DDIT
Enthusiast

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Michael Yorke

Veeam Logoby DDIT » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:05 am 2 people like this post

This was resolved by Ivan in tech support. The issues was related to the fact my fresh WS2012 server was previously used by Veeam under a different name but still existed in the Veeam Console. As I side note, I couldn't delete the reference to the old machine as it said it was still in use by a backup job, which was not the case. However, by removing the job and clicking "remove from configuration" from the Backups list, Ivan could then delete the old server.

He then removed and readded the new server, making sure the components removed and readded successfully then ran a job to prove it worked.

Thanks Ivan. Two issues solved in one call!
DDIT
Enthusiast

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Michael Yorke

Return to Microsoft Hyper-V