Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
jamie2497
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jamie

On-host proxy requires upgrade

Post by jamie2497 »

Hi All,

I've recently upgraded to Veeam 9 and am getting the following error for Virtual machines located on HV1 "Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: On-host proxy [HV1] requires upgrade before it can be used" I have tried removing the server from VEEAM, uninstalling all veeam transport service etc and re adding so it re installs, restarting the server and the veeam server but still having the same issue.

ID - 01695454

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: On-host proxy requires upgrade

Post by foggy »

Hi Jamie, if you locate this host under Backup Infrastructure node, does it have an Upgrade (or something else in bold) status? Basically, if re-installing components does not help, deeper logs investigation is required.
jamie2497
Novice
Full Name: Jamie

Post by jamie2497 »

Hi Foggy,

No the upgrade isn't in bold like I would usually see if some components need upgrading. I've verified that all the services are installed and even manually moved the msi across and installed that way just to confirm it was all correct. VEEAM can read the drives etc it just fails on every VM at that point.

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2709 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Most likely there are some remnants in the registry or in the configuration database, let's wait for a remote WebEx session from our engineer.
nefes
Veeam Software
Liked: 162 times
Full Name: Nikita Efes

Post by nefes »

Any chance that you have other component on this host, for example, WAN accelerator, and it is not upgraded?
DDIT
Expert
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Michael Yorke

Post by DDIT »

I have exactly the same problem, although my setup is really fresh:

I am trialing Veeam and started with a fresh install of version 9 (9.0.0.902), on WS2008R2. My host is a fresh install of full GUI, WS2012R2 with Hyper-V. I have a single VM guest, which is also 2012R2. I added the host to the Veeam Console successfully and noticed 3 components installed on my host (Veeam Backup Transport, Veeam Hyper-V Integration, Veeam Installer Service - all 9.0.0.902).

When I created my first job, I added my host and left all other settings as default. When I run the job it fails with error "Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: On-host proxy [VHOST1] requires upgrade before it can be used."

When I look back at the 'Backup Infrastructure' tab, I see my host has been moved to Managed Servers > Microsoft Hyper-V > Unavailable. If I right-click this host the 'upgrade' option is greyed out.

I have an open support case #01709332. The engineer has already asked me to manually uninstall the components, remove the host, re-add the host, reinstall the components, but this did not fix the issue. I have also been advised to install the recommended hotfixes here https://www.veeam.com/kb1838, but only one fix would install (KB3072380) - the others say "not applicable to your computer" when attempting to install - I guess that's because they relate to clustering, which is not what I'm using in my simple setup.

PS: I have a 'standard' trial license, so don't have ability to use WAN acceleration.

Any help advice greatly appreciated as this is eating into my license time.
DDIT
Expert
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Michael Yorke

Post by DDIT » 2 people like this post

This was resolved by Ivan in tech support. The issues was related to the fact my fresh WS2012 server was previously used by Veeam under a different name but still existed in the Veeam Console. As I side note, I couldn't delete the reference to the old machine as it said it was still in use by a backup job, which was not the case. However, by removing the job and clicking "remove from configuration" from the Backups list, Ivan could then delete the old server.

He then removed and readded the new server, making sure the components removed and readded successfully then ran a job to prove it worked.

Thanks Ivan. Two issues solved in one call!
jbarrere
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Josh Barrere

[MERGED] Moving from a proxy to stand alone Veeam free edit

Post by jbarrere »

We were previously using a Hyper V host at a remote site as a "on-host proxy" that would handle backing up VMs to itself and managed it from our Veeam server. We've decided to reuse that license for another server and wanted to change this host as a standalone Veeam installation using the free edition license. The problem is that when I try to run a Veeam ZIP job, it fails saying "Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: On-host proxy [hostname.here] requires upgrade before it can be used."

I've removed all of the components, uninstalled everything Veeam related, removed it from the infrastructure on our Veeam server and completely reinstalled Veeam, but it still has this message. Is there something I need to clear out of the registry or something to get it to work?

I be grateful for any suggestions!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Josh and welcome to the community!
Most likely some components or job references are left from previous installations.
If you cannot find it, please contact Veeam support team.
Thanks!
jbarrere
Lurker
Full Name: Josh Barrere

Post by jbarrere » 1 person likes this post

For those that come looking for answers later, I managed to fix this by clearing out the Veeam folder in C:\ApplicationData before reinstalling.
kizmetblue
Lurker

Post by kizmetblue »

I was just able to fix this issue by removing all servers from the backup job that was failing and re-adding them without every having to close the job first.
vClintWyckoff
Veteran
Liked: 109 times
Full Name: Clint Wyckoff

Post by vClintWyckoff »

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the community.
reaperhammer
Service Provider
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Will S

Post by reaperhammer » 1 person likes this post

For me on 9.5 update 2 restarting Veeam services resolved the issue as well as another issue where some particular VM's were getting stuck on Updating auxiliary data backup_doc & Updating auxiliary data writer_doc
MagicPeter
Lurker
Liked: 2 times

Post by MagicPeter » 2 people like this post

The problem could be solved by Veeam Support.
There were two new services:
VeeamBrokerSvc
VeeamBackupSvc
restarted after that the error did not occur anymore.
The backup is now ringing at 412 MB / second
zag
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Zag

Post by zag » 1 person likes this post

Thanks restarting VeeamBrokerSvc and VeeamBackupSvc also fixed it for me after a Hyper-V host rename.
Simphiwe.Mkhize
Novice
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Simphiwe Mkhize

Post by Simphiwe.Mkhize » 2 people like this post

Thanks restarting the 2 services also worked for me.
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

[MERGED] Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: On-host proxy [FQDN] requires upgrade

Post by ejenner »

Hi guys,

following our upgrade of a server from SCVMM 2012 to a new server with SCVMM 2016 my on-host VM backups have stopped working with the following error:

"Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: On-host proxy [FQDN] requires upgrade"

I don't know what it wants me to upgrade... hopefully not the OS as that'd be a massive job.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: On-host proxy [FQDN] requires upgrade

Post by wishr »

Hi EJ,

I'm merging your question with an existing topic having a few possible solutions mentioned, but the best way to get it sorted is to get in contact with our support engineers directly.

Thank you.
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Post by ejenner » 1 person likes this post

Without this forum your support department would have a lot more work to do. :wink:

As per some of the above cases, I rebooted the B&R server in question and all working. Simple as that. The error message makes no sense at all.
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Thanks for sharing the outcome and reminding me about the error text! I'll check if we can make it more clear.
Claudino
Lurker

Post by Claudino » 1 person likes this post

Rescanning hosts and repositories solved my problem.
dinglin
Veeam Software
Full Name: dinglin

Post by dinglin »

I tried almost all the methods mentioned above......and finally,reboot the VBR server solved my problem
VBR Version: v10.0.0.4461
Hyper-V: 2012 R2 DataCenter
kwinsor
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Kent Winsor

Post by kwinsor »

Hi,

Is this issue a bug in the GA release of v10? I have been backing up Windows Hyper-V 2019 stand-alone for weeks and suddenly I have the error "On-host proxy [server name] requires upgrade before it can be used." I have rebooted the Veeam Server and the Hyper-V server. I have not made any changes. I cannot get rid of this error. I have no upgrade notices in Veeam. This Veeam server was upgraded from 9.5 back in January. I added the Hyper-V server maybe a month ago after moving to v10. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Kent
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi Kent,

I'm not aware of any bugs in v10 that may cause this behavior. Please, raise a support case and let our engineers have a look at it.

Thanks
kwinsor
Service Provider

Post by kwinsor »

Hi, I am using NFR in a lab. I can try the support route though.
Thank you,
Kent
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Kent,

Could you please give the suggestions mentioned in this thread a try?

Thanks
kwinsor
Service Provider

Post by kwinsor »

Hi, After a couple of reboots today the Hyper-V job ran successfully. I rebooted last night as well so I am unsure what happened for it to suddenly start working again.

Thank you.
Thank you,
Kent
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi Kent,

Thanks for coming back.

That indeed sounds strange to me but I'm happy to hear it is resolved now. If the issue happens again, please raise a case with our engineers - I'll ask them to collect some debug info for our QC team to review. Just to get a better understanding of the reasons.

Regards,
Fedor
PeterGo
Lurker
Full Name: Peter Golian

Post by PeterGo »

Hi all,

we have this issue on Windows Server 2019 host. Recently we deployed two fresh similar hosts with two Hyper-V VMs. Backup of VMs on first host running flawlessly. But the second one not, always getting same error "Unable to allocate processing resources. Error: On-host proxy [FQDN] requires upgrade before it can be used.". We tried rebooting,restart Veeam services, reinstall VEEAM B&R, reinstall components, readd host...every known solution, but nothing helped. VEEAM B&R is running on latest version 10.0.1.4854, servers are UPTODATE. The only difference is that working host is destop experience and not working is core version.

I have an open support case #04328639, but we use B&R Community edition, so still no answer.

Thank for any advices.
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi Peter,

Have you tried rebooting the host itself and performing a rescan? Also, does the host have any pending updates? If that does not help the best way to proceed will be to investigate the issue with our support engineers.

Thanks